Register now to get rid of these ads!

question regarding title..will my idea work?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by model A hooligan, Sep 13, 2010.

1. Hey! I resent that remark!

Seriously, I had a '75 pickup registered with no paperwork. I went in with the scenario that it was on my property when I bought it. An abandoned vehicle if you will.
    They asked me to fill out a statement of facts, which I did. Then I had the vin verified. The dmv did a search and found that the vehicle was in the system but had not been registered for years. Okay, everything was in order, I had it weighed (pick up truck) and it was done.
    No problems and I walked away with new plates and title.

Thats all I have to say about that.

2. seventhirteen- i didnt do anything ileagal,just used the original bill of sale.and about sitting in the plastic chair, well actualy i was talking to my grandfather about all his old service stations and cars he had. yeah i can find a girl anywere to talk to,the plastic chair was just fine for me.

crminal- i love the last line.

3. thehardway

thehardway
    from Missouri

It is all in the person at the DMV weather or not you get a title or not, If they are having a bad day and you act like an asshole...Guess what you will leave there pissed off with no paperwork......If they are having a good day and you are Nice and cheerful, Your chances are pretty good......Lying to the DMV about already owning a car that is out of the system Does work sometimes.....And anyone here who says otherwise, Just doesn't know what they are talking about, As I have done it myself.....every state has diffren't laws...But most people at the DMV don't even know what those laws are....They make $7-9 dollars an hour and can type a little. If they think you are doing something funny, You will not get what you are after, But with a little acting skills the system can be beat.....this method is not for everyone And does not always work....there are lots of ways to get a title legally for your project.....Some are costly, some are slow (up to 3 years) in some cases.....and others are pretty quick and easy......If you are a tight ass or are working with a tight budget (like me) then do your homework and find out what works best for you.....

4. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

I would like to explain this situation in general:
    A lot of guys don't understand how you get into this predicament, a lot of guys would not know how to get out of it, many people who comment on the situation have never experienced it.
    One of the big problems is conjecture, if you don't know for sure you may wish not to say at all because you just add poop to the pile.
    So I will explain:
    You know all of those pictures of cars in wrecking yards that you see all over, ever want one of those? Ever think about how hard it is to register one of those? Nothing is impossible, it just takes money, time, patience and a 4" stack of paper work. Now most people are in short supply of the first three and really hate the last. There are some of us who just go through the process, it's a reality that any other way will be found out sooner or later so we just go about it the cold hard buerocratic way.
    Of course you are not gonna get a title for this thing in an unregistered junk yard, that's why it's there, the cream puffs are all gone, whats left is hard scrabble or high priced so now you have to go hunting for cars in the untitled states. So yeah you get the farmer to write you a bill of sale, what's that worth? the guy who owned the car has been dead for 20 years. What's the farmers signature worth?
    The state you live in just does not want to end up in court over stuff like this so they make you go through some legal issues and do a little dance and tax you hard. If you are still not gone yet than they will say OK fine, want to make a pile of shit into gold here you go you have the right to make your little pile of shit into gold, heres our bizarre rules and a stack of paper.
    One thing you have to understand is that when you are caught up in this you are in love mentally with this trophy that you drug out of the woods or feild or stream, you do not want to make an ass out of yourself and you usually have to answer to a wife over all of this. She rolls her eyes, she wants this rusty shit out of her life, she hopes you give up on it and go back to keeping a perfect lawn as a hobby. You tend to get a little pissy right about this time.
    In the end when all is said and done and you feel you have achieved victory may it be only temporary over the MAN, you feel like you want to help and save others from the evil that occupied 6 months of your life, you want to dispell the lies and tout the truth. Fact is, most people want to beleive their own ideas, if they want to argue with you as you stand upon the rock of hot rod titling victory and claim there is a troll under yonder bridge that can save them, let them go and seek the troll.

5. onlychevrolets

onlychevrolets

thats the one thing Georgia has going for it...easy to tag old stuff. NO title needed

6. ems customer service

ems customer service

I agree, go to the dmv state div and ask how to do it ask them what there proceddure is and if there is more than one, (be real humble!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) you would be surprised what can happen.

Basically you need to make feel good about there job do not make them think that they owe you something.

Folks lose titles to cars all day long, there is always a proceedure in goverment just ask

7. ems customer service

ems customer service

I agree, go to the dmv state div and ask how to do it ask them what there proceddure is and if there is more than one, (be real humble!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) you would be surprised what can happen.

Basically you need to make feel good about there job do not make them think that they owe you something.

Folks lose titles to cars all day long, there is always a proceedure in goverment just ask

8. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

geez....somebody doesn't sound smart enough to title a car....I got bored with this complete lack of coherence in his litany of events and excuses with the end of the first page.

ANYTIME you buy something that needs to be registered and/or titled to you, it needs to be relinquished by the previous owner(s). There must be paperwork. You purchased a car with none of the above, ergo, you must investigate the procedure in your state for acquiring a clear title to this car in your name. This should have been considered when you bought the car...not when you're ready to take it down the road. The rules may seem onerous and the DMV bureaucrats may seem portentous and pompous, but they're just trying to protect the public. YOU know this car is not stolen, but they don't. You'd be amazed at what thieves will do and have done to mask a purloined vehicle.

I realize that I'm being a bit of a prick, but you act like DMV just owes you a title. You bought something with no paperwork - the problem is YOURS, not theirs.

dj

9. dave lewis

dave lewis
    from Nampa ID

Just to add to the "helpfull" info in this post.....
    I have a guy, Bruce [email protected]
    He is based in San Jose ca, and has worked miracles for me on several projects.
    I send him a copy of the bill of sale, and the vin verification..He takes care of the rest ! And I pay him via paypal !
    Now I never put work or $ into a project until the title is clean..I learned the hard way !
    And the $ 50. or so fees he charges are WAY cheaper than sitting in the dmv for hours...And , Believe it or not...I have relatives and neighbors that work at the local dmv...Still use Bruce... faster, cleaner, easier !
    Dave

10. thanks prowash, i just skipped over your bullshit post. my lack of coherence? who pissed in your cornflakes this morning? not smart enough to title a car? wow thanks for gracing me with your presence, shall i get on my knees and pray to you? beacause im not as smart? maybe I HAVNT HAD TO DO THIS BEFORE.

lots of folks posted what they did, and it got me what i needed. thanks to the good folks on here that actualy help.Iv got nothing but respect for the folks that have helped me. but please, to the assholes. we do not need you here.

and as francisco says, well hes pretty much right. dont realy need to add to that.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2010
  11. GlassThamesDoug

GlassThamesDoug
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I built my Car from Scratch.........started with a shell of a body.......Had a title to use, but decided not an OEM car anyway, why play the game.
    1) Safety Inspection (21 items) NSRA has great guidelines better than most states.
    2) Roadability - Drive with Law Officer if required.
    3) Calculate Taxes I have Paid......and what I owe.
    4) Notorized Receipts (Body) - recept for steel for frame.
    5) Be Nice............listen clearly......Then yo can get a title for a self constructed car...with the correct model on title. If you want a "OEM Title" it might take bonding the title, which is no big deal. I have a plate and title now........took 45 days.
    6) First Drive New Year Day Jan 1, 2011.

Doug

12. dannya

dannya

Well sorry to burst anybodys bubble but California DMV is a pain in you know what you can go in there with the biggest smile and a great attitud and you will come out with nothing done. lol lol Thats no joke there over worked and under paid and just dont care. so If you need help i will help you with all the paperwork i deal with DMV 3 times a week so i know what i'm doing. You need a history record for the car and and then you can go of there. Hit me up ill help you

13. dannya

dannya

<TABLE class=tborder id=post6242588 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD class=alt1 id=td_post_6242588 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e5e5e5 1px solid">Well sorry to burst anybodys bubble but California DMV is a pain in you know what you can go in there with the biggest smile and a great attitud and you will come out with nothing done. lol lol Thats no joke there over worked and under paid and just dont care. so If you need help i will help you with all the paperwork i deal with DMV 3 times a week so i know what i'm doing. You need a history record for the car and and then you can go of there. Hit me up ill help you
    <!-- / message --></TD></TR><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e5e5e5 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #e5e5e5 0px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #e5e5e5 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #e5e5e5 1px solid">[​IMG] [​IMG] </TD><TD class=alt1 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e5e5e5 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #e5e5e5 0px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #e5e5e5 0px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #e5e5e5 1px solid" align=right><!-- controls -->[​IMG]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

14. dannya

dannya

<TABLE class=tborder id=post6242588 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD class=alt1 id=td_post_6242588 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e5e5e5 1px solid">Well sorry to burst anybodys bubble but California DMV is a pain in you know what you can go in there with the biggest smile and a great attitud and you will come out with nothing done. lol lol Thats no joke there over worked and under paid and just dont care. so If you need help i will help you with all the paperwork i deal with DMV 3 times a week so i know what i'm doing. You need a history record for the car and and then you can go of there. Hit me up ill help you
    <!-- / message --></TD></TR><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e5e5e5 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #e5e5e5 0px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #e5e5e5 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #e5e5e5 1px solid">[​IMG] [​IMG] </TD><TD class=alt1 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e5e5e5 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #e5e5e5 0px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #e5e5e5 0px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #e5e5e5 1px solid" align=right><!-- controls -->[​IMG]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

15. dannya

dannya

Well im in Chino California and if you need help i would be glad to help you. I deal with the DMV 3 times a week so i know how hard it can be so hit me up and will talk.

16. aaggie

aaggie

A lesson I learned a long time ago was not to spend a dime on a project until I had a title with my name on it.

17. willeys41

willeys41
    from seattle

I have sold over 100 doc or title ,money back if did not work.Never had one come back.If you are keeping the car and just want plates ,go around these doorknops.Get a tittle and get plates and drive and have fun.

18. i just got oen of mine all sorted out. now i just need a vin varify on another but the only guy around here wants 50 bucks to do it...

19. TwinTownTerror

TwinTownTerror
    from Minnesota

Put a tongue on it and tell 'em it's a trailer :D

20. evintho

evintho

I got my basketcase '27 titled by arriving at the DMV at 7:00 am on the first day of the new year. I applied for one of the 500 exemptions under SB100 and received exemption #90. I walked in with a 'bill of sale' from the previous owner, the craigslist ad where I found it, a picture of the car in my backyard, and these forms...........
    Form 343..........Application for Title or Registration
    Form 124..........Application for Assigned VIN plate
    Form 5036........Statement of Construction
    Form 256..........Statement of Facts

At 9:30 I walked out with all the proper paperwork, the car entered into the DMV system and a smog exemption. All I have to do once it's running is have the CHP give it a safety inspection and I'm good to go.

It's much better to get the car properly documented BEFORE you start construction.

21. im not to fond of the whole speacial construction thing. im not building a 2012 model A. or 53 pickup for the sake of it.

i think than applies to folks without a number at all, i think most of us have numbers or papers but do not have the other or vice versa

22. LN7 NUT

LN7 NUT

I bought a stretched 59 Suburban out of Montana with no title (it was about to be crushed) and once I figured out how that US title system works all I had to do was get someone there (I have a decent hot rodder friend in Missoula) to spend the $60 at the DMV, get a highway patrol to make sure the VIN was not damaged or faked, and then he applied for a lost title, a few days later it came in the mail (they said it would take a few weeks) sadly it took my 2 years t figure it out and discover how anti-Canadian the DMV and Border people I was trying to work with were... Not sure how it works in California, i know it's the worst state to do it in, but is it possible to apply for a lost title in another state then transfer it as if you just bought the car to get a California title?

All the title BS you poor guys in the US have to deal with, I feel for you, I really do, but I am glad I am in Alberta, I got a 36 GMC legal late last December, all I had to do was get it inspected, once it passed I just went to the registry office and called my insurance lady, and it was legal in 2 days time, and I had absolutely no paperwork at all and a BOS from my dad. I wish you guys could do it that easy.

23. LN7 NUT...iv gone that route. works if you have a vin stamped in your frame. but if you dont it doesnt work... ive got one car doen im still figure how to get the other one done.

its funny cause the second vehicle i have has been in my family for over 30 years but THATS the one that i cant get registered

24. LN7 NUT

LN7 NUT

Damn, too bad man.

I see you're on another DMV thread, I really hope you can figure this out.

25. yeah its been a little tricky, it seems like all those rice rocket import guy kinda messed things up for us. the law inforcement is always sketchy now since all thoses rice rocket guys swap motors and vins and such..

26. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

My '51 Ford I gave up on the DMV and AAA and paid a title service $150 and got the title in the mail 2 weeks later. They verified the vin and did everything. Best money I ever spent.

I didn't have to get one of the exemptions or anything. All I can remember is I had to file a statement of facts but I'm sure there was other paperwork.

To be a vin verifier you have to pay to be bonded and get licensed with the state. $50 is cheap if they come to your house. AAA does it free if you go there, of course .

27. evintho

evintho

You said in your initial post "I have no paperwork". The Specially Constructed Vehicle statue is a fairly easy way around that. It seems you're having some difficulty obtaining the proper paperwork legally. Purchasing an old title may or may not work. There's been plenty of threads on here about just that. If you can get the car titled as a '29 you should be OK.

The Specially Constructed Vehicle - SPCNS (I don't know how they got that acronym) allows you to choose to smog it based on year of car or year of motor. Receiving the SPCNS allows you to enter the DMV system WITHOUT the original paperwork. The documents required are listed in my above post.

Therefore, applying for the SPCNS kills 2 bird with 1 stone. You can legally title the car as a '29 AND you can run whatever over-the-top powertrain you wish with no smog restrictions, at all.

From the California DMV webpage.......................

Amended Ch. 1286, Stats. 1983. Effective January 1, 1984.
    __________________________________________________ _____________

Specially Constructed Vehicles- Emission Control
    <!-- #BeginEditable "content" -->What is the Specially Constructed Vehicle Emission Control Program?

Existing law requires most 1976 and newer model year vehicles to pass an emissions control inspection (smog check) prior to original registration, transfer of ownership, and every second annual renewal. Since Specially Constructed Vehicles (SPCNS) are homemade and do not have a manufacturer-assigned model year, they must be taken to a Bureau of Automotive Repair (BAR) Referee Station for the original inspection. Upon completion of the inspection, the referee will affix a tamper-resistant label to the vehicle and issue a certificate that establishes the model-year for future inspection purposes.

Per California Vehicle Code §4750.1, the first 500 program applicants in each calendar year may choose whether the inspection is based on the model-year of the engine used in the vehicle or the vehicle model-year. If the engine or the vehicle does not sufficiently resemble one previously manufactured, the referee will assign 1960 as the model-year.

After the first 500 vehicles have been registered in any calendar year, all others will be assigned the same model-year as the calendar year in which the application is submitted.

Previously registered vehicles may be included as one of the first 500 applicants in a calendar year and apply for a different model-year determination.
    What is an SPCNS Certificate of Sequence?

An SPCNS Certificate of Sequence identifies a vehicle as one for which the owner may choose emission control inspection based on the model-year of the engine used in the vehicle or the vehicle model-year. The certificate is issued by DMV Headquarters and will be mailed 7-10 working days after the application is accepted by your local DMV. The certificate must be presented to the BAR Referee Station at the time of inspection.

Per statute, only 500 certificates can be issued in a calendar year. Once the yearly allotment has been issued, applicants must wait until the following year to apply for a certificate.

SPCNS Certificates of Sequence cannot be transferred to a different vehicle or reissued in someone else's name. The seller of a vehicle must provide the buyer with the SPCNS Certificate of Sequence along with the bill of sale and any additional registration documents. In addition, fees deposited in one year cannot be held over for the next year's allocation of certificates.

Note: Due to the limited number of SPCNS Certificates of Sequence available, you may wish to submit your application for registration in person at a local DMV office.
    __________________________________________________ _____________

28. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

If it's out of the computer, you should only need a Bill of Sale, VIN verification, and Statement of Facts from the guy you bought it from- if perchance he bought it non-running at a swap meet, a Statement of Facts stating that should be enough. Don't say ANYTHING you're not asked for, and definitely don't say anything about pieced together, etc., just raises red flags. It can make a BIG difference what office you go to, small town/happy staff is a MAJOR plus. I got a clean title for a 1928 Indian Four by playing the game, all legit facts, but not without a little hickup- caused only by the massive ego of a 5 foot nothing by 3 foot plus DMV branch (not my usual local, small town branch) manager with a Napoleon complex. I went in with the previous owner, my buddy who happens to own a bike dealership about 6 blocks from the office, had the Bill of Sale, Statement of Facts, and the guy who filled them out in person, a VIN verify done by a CHP Captain, and the gal who was waiting on me was telling me about her husband's '47 Indian- so I'm in like Flint, right? Then her face goes blank, and she says their manager insists on personally approving transactions like this-huh? So out swaggers (waddles?) PeeWee, and proceeds to reject the VIN verfication-he says you have to go to the CHP now and get it verified... I say it's right here, in fact the Chippie Captain's business card is attached to it. Napoleon squares his shoulders back, gets his best smug grin going, and states, you can't go to the CHP on your own, you have to come to me first, and I DIRECT you to go to the CHP, and you need a blue tag on the frame- which is pure horseshit, but whatareyagonnado. Obviously I wasn't about to try the other two I had with me, one of my '47 Indians and my Deuce dump truck, so I just left. Went to the local office the same day, and the other two blew through with no problems, and I actually told the guy what happened, he laughed and said don't go there anymore- seems Napoleon is well known. They say go see ___ at the local CHP, good guy. So I go in there and talk to him, pretty soon they're all laughing their butts off about the rejection, as my buddy the Captain used to be their boss and trained ___ to do verifications... They also recommended don't go there. So it's now got a good title, no blue tag on the frame (they didn't have frame numbers and I had documentation to prove it)
    And the SPCNS tag? It's something to avoid, especially on a bike, as your insurance will go to the moon as soon as soon as they find out- insurance companies don't care for homemade

29. evintho,yes i had said that at first. but i also posted my progress on the situation, im sure if you read the thread youl see. ive got one car titled and worked out pretty good. just working on another one with different issues

30. fasttrain49

fasttrain49

i ran into the same thing many moons back. what you need to do is find out the last known address of the last registered owner. send a letter asking for title, bill of sale, ect. then when hopefully the letter is returned, take that to the dmv and go from there. it worked for me, after about 6 months of filling out various forms and such, they gave up and gave me a title. hopefully the envelope will be stamped no forwarding address. another way is go thru your local judge at the courthouse, he can help on this.