Register now to get rid of these ads!

question regarding title..will my idea work?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by model A hooligan, Sep 13, 2010.

1. AJofHollywood

AJofHollywood

Many 'build your own car' hot rodders like myself and Hooligan over here, don't start with a 'car'. We start with a bare frame, or a roadster cowl, and build from there.
    I started my latest project with a 27 T body that slipped right into the back of my Bronco.
    Now how are we going to apply for a title for a body sitting on a 2x4 workbench sitting in our parents garage? Phat Rat?

2. jpizza5711

jpizza5711
    from pa.

don't know if your title problem has been resolved but try this guy
    i have gotten quit a few with no trouble here in pa.
    ed miller
    856-854-5945
    1110 newton ave
    hadden twp.,n.j.,08107

3. ajofhollywood- thats correct. seems we are on the same page. it was realy a 'car' when i got it.

then i put the parts on the side of the house till i had enough stuff to start making something.

4. redhawk74

redhawk74

not a cali resident, but here in wisconsin, it is possible to get a "rebuilt" title. And what that involves is, they send a state trooper to inspect your car, get the vin number of the car, block numbers, transmission numbers...ect.... and they run those in the system to see if any of the parts are stolen, if it clears, all is good and well, they send you a "rebuilt" title in the mail, and the plates to go with it. then you have to rivet or screw your new vin tag on the car......

i dont know if this helps...but thats what i know of it, it could be different.

5. Because no two states are alike and in some states, once you know what to do, it's easy to get paperwork on an old car. And I say paperwork because a number of states do not use titles for our cars, mine included.

6. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

Yep. If somebody else can get it done, you can Do It Yourself.
    :D

7. seventhirteen

seventhirteen
    from dago, ca

depends how you value your time, personally it's worth the $25 to not go sit in the california DMV that is typically an hour wait with an appointment, and on top of that hope you get someone helpful and knowledgable that doesn't hand you a bunch of forms and sends you away

8. phat rat

phat rat

As others have said every states different. It's still not an impossibility. Where there's a will there's a way. If a guy can't figure it out on his own then it's time to pay someone to get the job done for him instead of coming on here an bitching about how the DMV is screwing him over. Here's a pic of a 27 T I bought out of a junkyard in Mt (only the body) didn't have problem getting a title for it here in Mi. Partly because I don't go in with an attitude and I know what needs to be done here

Attached Files:

9. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

Just in case somebody missed it. OP got his answer. This thread has ran full circle.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2010
  10. phat rat- what? who is talkign about an attitude? man im not sure were you get that at

11. 29 nash is right, my thread started to ask about how to go about doing this. i got the info and help from some great guys on here, now theres folsk saying weird stuff and comlpaining.

the info is here now. read it to those of you new folks that keep pm' ing me and asking. a legal way to do it is right here.

12. rowdyauto

rowdyauto

Ok this is what you do,get an application for title or registration from the DMV or AAA if your a member.On the back of this form is another form that says verification of vehicle.That side is to be completed by any peace officer with a badge number.If you don't know anyone with a badge then you'll have to make an app. with CHP.He is verifying that the vin your trying to use is the vin on the car.He will fill out that side you fill out the other side and then take it to AAA, again if your a member as they are much easier to deal with.You should be able to pay your fees get your plates and receive a title in the mail.That is if you just have a vin and no title or paperwork and it's out of the system.And you better hope someone else isn't using your vin no. to register there car because yours was out of the system.I'm dealing with all of this as we speak and have before.But wherever you go kill em with kindness you need them they don't need you.Good luck

13. YOU CANT JUST GET A VERIFY ON THE VIN AND GO TO AAA.

how many times does it need to be said.

you MUST have some type of bill of sale.

14. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

Don't get upset they are just not reading the thread only the OP. If they can't figure it out and cheat they will get a free pair of bracelets and three squares, get to have a toilet next to bed.

15. haha!

its a bit rediculas when the info is here. and it can be done legaly. i did it the legal way. good members provided me with some good info and tips. and it got me what i needed. thanks to the hambers that pay attention,read, and help one another

16. phat rat

phat rat

Statements like those below show attitude and they are all yours. The person behind the counter has to put up with all kinds of shit day after day, give them a reason to make things hard for you and many of them are only too happy too oblige. On a better note. Glad to hear you got things taken care of. Now you've learned how to make the system work for you instead of against you.

(1) because they are giving me hell trying to find the'old owners' wich none of them had it registered either

(2) why the hell does everyone treat me like a criminal? its sickening. is there NO way to get a title? iv tried everything. i wont let my cars fate be decided by pencil pushers.

(3) so what am i supposed to do, there are no title companys i can find, the guy that does it on here wont do anything, so am i just fucked???

(4) its insane. all of them are angry people that want our money, they see somthing that will take a moment of their time and they dont want to get their lazy self up and do it.

(5) you dont need all this BS services and go to this guy and he'l send you to this guy and write this paper. thast all just crap.

17. phat rat number 5 is a FACT. all these paying people to do stuff is not realy needed at all. all the tools are here and yet people still post how you can go and pay this guy to do this.

the answers are here. plain and simple. i dont need anyone in this thread making it more confusing with assumptions. my question to you- what did i do to upset you and why did you come to MY thread?

mods you can close this thread. thanks for the help, all the info is on here. nothing realy needs to be added.alot of good fellows on here provided the info needed, and i summed up what i had to take with me to get it done.

18. dawford

dawford

I'm the guy in So. California who said go pay the guy $65.00 and have him go get the registration.

I belong to AAA auto club and get my regular registrations done there.

But when starting with a frame with a vin number it's well worth the money to me to pay someone who knows how to make it happen.

My time is more important to me than the money.

I've gone to parts swaps with friends looking for specific parts.

When they found the part that they needed they didn't buy it because the guy that had the part wouldn't take less than $35.00 for it.

I later asked why they didn/t buy it they said that they are usually only $25.00.

We spent $65.00 on gas to get there and back.

We spent 4 1/2 hours walking around looking.

He will be unable to procede with his project in a short time because he wanted to save $10.00.

Money is only paper that represents our time.

Our work is a sacrefice of our time in order to get money that we can trade for someone elses time.

The 80 year water pump or what ever is a representation of other peoples time 80 years ago plus the time of the person who is selling it now.

The cost of a service is minimal in comparison to what I would have to do to get it done the Cal. DMV.

It used to be that Government agencies were here to help you but when you give a little power to the type of people who sometimes get those jobs they become almost advesarial in the way they treat you.

Sometimes they only tell you what you need to do one thing at a time.

So you end up making 2 or 3 trips back each time getting someone different who tells you something else you have to do.

Some of you will save some money and luck out by getting the right DMV employee but I never have.

Good luck doing it your way.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2010
  19. seventhirteen

seventhirteen
    from dago, ca

i registered 3 model A coupes, a model A truck, 63 galaxie and a 69 rambler this year with no titles or bill of sales using my registration service

typically i pick up plates with tags within 48 hours, they come to me to verify vins, all in all takes me about 30 minutes if we add in the time i spend chatting with the girls when i pick up my plates....

i suppose i could goto the dmv myself and "find" an old owner like you suggest but then what if the girl at the dmv wasn't as good looking as the girls at the registration service or god forbid what if it was a guy....

20. Dawford, you have posted a brilliant essay that every rodder should read carefully.
    Time is fleeting, money is replaceable.

21. rowdyauto

rowdyauto

Thanks seventhirteen As long as we know how to do it that's all that matters, some people you just can't help no matter how hard you try.I just did one by myself today at AAA with nothing but the form I mentioned earlier.I did it myself as I had the time and AAA is very close but hiring someone to do the exact same thing is cool too.I've got a total of an hour of my time and guess what I'm DONE.

22. okay sorry seventhirteen but that realy makes no sense. i went to AAA they wouldnt do ANYTHING unless i had a title already.im not sure what this whole girl thing and god forbid a guy thing has to do with anything. your talking about a registration service correct? well we were not. i didnt have to go and do that. maybe i miss understand what you wrote?

dawford, im not sure where to find a guy to do my registration for 65 bucks as you say. the are all WELL over that price. and is MUCH, MUCH cheaper to do it yourself. i didnt go to dmv a bunch of times as i think you are implying, i did my paper work, went to dmv and got it done.

this is about the 4th time ill say this. the info is here, to do it legally, some good folks left some tips in the other pages of this thread and they worked.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2010
  23. dawford

dawford

I don't get this.

Here is the first post of this thread by model A hooligan.

"
    okay so iv got an important question for you folks.

if got a 29 coupe that i have no paperwork on other than a varified vin. i went to dmv and they basicly wont do anything for me, iv been to AAA, they wont do anything. im worried that my almost running project never will get on the road.

i got an idea tell me if it will work. is the date in california for cars to drop out of the system 7 years? or 10? i was told both. if its 7 years. i was 16. couldnt i go to dmv and tell them i had the tittle 7 years ago and i lost it now i need a new one?

because they are giving me hell trying to find the'old owners' wich none of them had it registered either.

please help! iv already contacted the title guy on here and he wont even answer my messages and when he did he blew me off. im just trying to get my car in my name."

Here is the last post of this thread by model A hooligan.

"okay sorry seventhirteen but that realy makes no sense. i went to AAA they wouldnt do ANYTHING unless i had a title already.im not sure what this whole girl thing and god forbid a guy thing has to do with anything. your talking about a registration service correct? well we were not. i didnt have to go and do that. maybe i miss understand what you wrote?

dawford, im not sure where to find a guy to do my registration for 65 bucks as you say. the are all WELL over that price. and is MUCH, MUCH cheaper to do it yourself. i didnt go to dmv a bunch of times as i think you are implying, i did my paper work, went to dmv and got it done.

this is about the 4th time ill say this. the info is here, to do it legally, some good folks left some tips in the other pages of this thread and they worked."

Is this the same guy posting the I am having a hard time doing this.

And then it is easy to do it.

Am I missing something?
    <!-- / sig -->

24. Oddly enough, they will. I have done it a number of times. If the vehicle is out of the system, you can go in, tell them that you've owned it since forever, you put the title, the registration and the plates in an envelope for safekeeping and during a move or a fire or the apocalypse, it was lost. You will be asked to fill out a statement of facts, have the numbers verified, pay the current reg and license fees and a few other charges and you will walk out of the office with a plate , a temporary registration and a big smile, California, for all of it's idiotic laws, treehuggers and ex hippie legislators, has a very easy to deal with DMV. Many will argue with me, but I have never failed to get a registration problem resolved, in 45 years of driving, that I was not able to do in one or two visits.
    Of course, half a dozen people will pop up here and tell you, and me, that it won't work. Tell that to the valid plates and registration, in my name, on my 40 Ford, my Cushman scooter, my 50 Stude and a few others

25. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

"almost running project never will get on the road."
    :confused::confused:

i will never understand why people go this route?
    the paperwork is the first thing you do before you blow time and money..
    I cant say what you want to hear, 1st because i dont know your states or counties rules for this..but, i would be rethinking how you go about starting a project.

Not ment to bust yer balls or nothing, just my own view of this:cool:

1st thing you do is Title or Bill of sale , than title..than wrench spend money repeat..when i bought My A, i got a bill of sale..the next week i took the body off and found the number to be sure,applied for a title at SOS and 10 to 12 days later my title came in the mail

Last edited: Sep 24, 2010
  26. Please do close this thread , he needs a glass of whine !

27. von rigg, thats fine. its your view and your entitled to it.

rob-red., thanks for that. the other guy was nit picking, so i dont see how i 'whine' but i guess you chose to see what you see, thats fine have a good one man. plenty other good folks that have givin good info on here.

28. your welcome ! anytime, just ask. Merlot ?

29. drchopper

drchopper

Another thing to remember with the computer age , I was told by a DMV manager that information will never fall out of the system anymore so the days of going in and doing the statement of facts thing is just about over ... that sucks because I have done it a few times . good luck

30. seventhirteen

seventhirteen
    from dago, ca

my point is a registration service that knows how to deal with old car titles will get the job done quick. no title? no problem... no bill of sale, no problem

sounds like you ran all over the place, had the car verified at one place, made up a fake bill of sale and then went to the dmv, sure that works but is it the fastest easiest way? no it isn't a registration service on the other hand is.

what the girl thing has to do with anything is, while your sitting in that plastic chair waiting for your number to be called at the dmv, i'm chatting with a couple nice looking ladies picking up my hassle free plates and tags

like they say, there's more than one way to skin a cat, some are just better than others...