Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Question regarding subframe/rails

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Doug Sonnenberg, Sep 13, 2021.

1. Doug Sonnenberg

Doug Sonnenberg

Hi everyone. I need help clarifying something. Ive read thru alot of the posts here regarding this topic but haven't gotten the answer. Im building a 29 chrysler roadster, im going to put a steel floor and steel braces throught. Im going to build a subframe/subrails on top of my frame to mount the body to. Its going to be 2"x 1" rectangular tube. Question is how do you guys mount the body to the subframe? Spot weld? Weld at the pillars? How do you weld the lower section of the body to the subframe? My plan is to extend the lip on the lower section of the body and place inbetween the frame and the subrame and spot weld it. Let me know your thoughts. Thx
    20210913_163051.jpg 20210913_163054.jpg

Last edited: Sep 13, 2021
  2. manyolcars

manyolcars

no manufacturer ever thought it was necessary to add all that weight of square or rectangular tubing for a floor

Pist-n-Broke and Tman like this.
  3. Almostdone

Almostdone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The body and subframe of my Model A were welded together from the factory. That assembly was bolted to the frame through wood blocks and rubber shims. The subframe was pretty thin compared to what you’re suggesting for yours - maybe 14-16 ga or so.

Your plan sounds like a battleship compared to what the factory likely did. Others will chime in here - maybe someone with the same type of car.

John

4. Consider how it was built.
    Probably nailed or screwed to wood.
    Honestly you could spot weld it to a piece of flat. (No thick stuff)
    Then weld the vertical braces to that and then the floor.
    I usually build floors last

5. HotRod33

HotRod33

IMG_20201203_131220.jpg IMG_20201204_124007.jpg
    I used 1 inch square tubing welded in... Then I also used 16 gauge bent into sub rails to build the floor structure. I used the square tubing for mounting the body...

6. 32 sub rail for reference.
    C6E0B13D-BC80-49AD-ABAE-CA24FF30D22E.jpeg

7. AccurateMike

AccurateMike

These videos might help. Mike

Doug Sonnenberg likes this.
  8. Doug Sonnenberg

Doug Sonnenberg

I like this idea. Scrap the tubing and make the rails out of flat steel.

anthony myrick likes this.
  9. Doug Sonnenberg

Doug Sonnenberg

I have watched alot of iran trap garage. They have great content. Thats were i got the idea of using 2" x 1" tubing. He made a subrail using juat that. However i have not seen how he mounts a body to the rails other then ive seen the pillars welded to the rails. So how does the middle part of the body attach? Is it left unattached or is it spot welded to the rails aswell?