Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Question - Pharoahs / Pharaohs ( What is history of both)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fordstandard, Oct 6, 2018.

1. There are two clubs NOT the same - Pharoahs and other is Pharaohs
    ( notice spelling difference)

What is history of both ?
    Two similar sounding but spelled differently?

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. The Pharaohs were in American Graffitti....:D american graffiti-002.jpg Aviary Photo_130498867825962312.png

3. Credit to Kip for his blog.

lothianwilly71 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  4. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

I know there are a few clubs with the Pharaoh's, Pharoah's name, but here is the history of the American Graffiti Pharaohs.
    It was actually spelt "Faros", they tried/started to form at Modesto High School in 1957 but the Dean of Boys got wind of it and warned that they would be expelled for any such nonsense. In 1960 at Modesto Junior College the original group of guy's fired back up as a Fraternity (wink, wink) and quickly evolved into a Car Club which expanded back to the local high schools.
    From 1960 until 1973 when the AG Movie came out there were roughly 160 members. The city of Modesto was really cracking down on cruising about that time and sometime in late 73 to early 74 the Faros disbanded.
    The last club president ...I'm going to say by dumb luck for lack of better words, took all the club records and what I call memorabilia today and stored it in his attic.

Fast forward 40 years and with renewed interest, the old Faros started contacting each other for a reunion of such, which began a regeneration of the club. A lot of the members where still very active in the car culture and a few of them got their second wind, had empty nest and said why not and purchased a car.
    Today they meet once a month to discuss business, the Faros are very active in local events that support the preservation of the car culture including local charity events.

This year the "Faros" became a trademarked name. The youngest Faro is about 63 years young and the oldest is approaching 80, at this time no new members have been taken in since 73.

How/why did George Lucas write the Faros into AG? Attached is a picture of George Lucas and a Faro named Gary Second, (Gary sadly passed away in April of 2018) George and Gary were BFF's in high school.
    And now you know the rest of the story!

Attached Files:

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. Nice bit of history -please continue with how the TWO ; Pharoahs and Pharaohs came into being and difference

6. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

Used to be a car club in Michigan with that name that I used to attend their car shows in the eighties. 177.jpg

7. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

the Wilmington Pharaohs mentioned in film 20181006_080107 (2).jpg link in current thread This is Long Beach (Cavaliers)

8. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

Almost pronounced like Joe the Faro saying "Everybody wants to be a Fair-Row"

9. For what it's worth, I'm Dennis O'Brien and own O'Brien Truckers LLC (www.obrientruckers.com) and have manufactured over 165,000 car club plaques for 3000+ clubs over the last 40 years. I also have 12,000 car club plaque patterns from two companies that made plaques in the 1950/60's. Out of those 15,000 total patterns I have made plaques for 14 Pharaohs, 2 Pharoahs, 1 Faros and 1 Fa-Rows clubs and the from the two companies that went out of business in the late 60's I have the original patterns for 36 Pharaohs, 1 Pharoahs, 1 Pharos and 1 Faros clubs' plaques. So that's a total of 57 different clubs. I have the patterns for all of the plaques shown above . I will not make and sell plaques from my 15,000 patterns for clubs that are still active like the Faros Modesto, Pharaohs Oxnard and Pharoahs Mt. Vernon. It's interesting how many guys call and want to order Pharoahs plaques "because that's the way it was spelled in the movie". I just send them to the HAMB to straighten them out:)