Register now to get rid of these ads!

question only SBC

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by plodge55aqua, Jun 12, 2013.

1. plodge55aqua

plodge55aqua
    from Alberta

When installing a SBC when it was a 4 banger to begin with,,, what angle should the Block be sitting at? thanks..

2. Level at the carb plate on the manifold. Right to left the same. Level. A very slight tilt to the rear to clear something OK.

3. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

The way I have always done it is, I set the car at whatever ride height, rake I want it at. Then I put a level on the carb mounting surface and make that level front to back, side to side then build my frame stands and tranny cross member to meet the engine and trans mounts. Clear as mud. Of course dont forget to try to miss steering boxes, center the fan on the radiator if possible, and a million other things to try and think ahead on...but i digress.

I am sure that was of zero help...:eek:

4. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Depens a lot on style of car. I like V8 motors level to ground myself and that is not nessasarly the carb level depenning on who's intake

5. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

I like the valve covers to be level with most of the body or lines that may be in the body. I don't like to see a whole bunch of conflicting lines on a car, especially an open engine car. I see a lot of builds with frames on one plane, engines on another plane, body is in business for itself, try and get things lined up and it wont look like a big after thought. if you have to have the intake milled a little, no biggie.

Attached Files:

6. Carburetors work when you are going up and down steep hills but they work best when they are level. Fuel injection is more forgiving.

7. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

Level is good, factor in clearances for steering, and floor / firewall.

A slight tilt is fine, but don't forget to factor in radiator clearance as well..

8. plodge55aqua

plodge55aqua
    from Alberta

No spot for a fan in the J... 1/2 inch at most from the tip of the waterpump to the rad.I guess a electric fan in front of the Rad.. Not that I wanted it ,, I got no choice.. No room to move back with the distributor sitting in the back.. the intake/carb surface is Level.. the top edge of the Head inside of the valve cover is at about 7 to 8 degrees.. is that okay?

Hey Guys all your help is very Much appreciated... I see all the issues.. and making sure I miss those problem areas.. My avitar got a V8... Mounts do have to be made.. I cant proceed till the fender well Headers show up.. Just to make sure they clear the Front Firewall body mounts,...:)

9. plodge55aqua

plodge55aqua
    from Alberta

Hi K... Hows it going?

10. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

I guess, once you follow all the advice above, then you make sure the pinion is parallell to the trans output, right?

11. Chassis at ride height and rake, carb pad level to the ground. seems to almost always be 3° tilting down at the rear.

12. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

Usually the when carb is level the block is 3-4 degrees down in back. I'm sure you could vary that by a couple degrees either way without any harm being done. make sure to keep your pinion angle in mind too.

13. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

14. plodge55aqua

plodge55aqua
    from Alberta

Thanks everyone. Much appreciated.... Ill be asking more as this continues..

15. Cut that firewall, move that motor back !!!....lol

[​IMG]

16. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Seems I always end up going about 3 degrees lower on the back of the carb. It wont matter much if the carb is within 5 degrees of level. But dead level side to side.

17. plodge55aqua

plodge55aqua
    from Alberta

Maybe down the road.. just getting it up at running will do though.. :)

Thanks guys... Im following the instructions..