Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Question On Wiring. Help!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by curbspeed, Jul 26, 2018.

1. I having a little trouble trying to figure out if I need the resistor block that came with my Mallory coil since I'm running a Pertronix unit. I'm thinking not, but I need to be sure. I figure since no points it's not a problem to delete it. Am I correct on this. I don't want to screw anything up. Thanks.

2. squirrel

squirrel

3. Jim, thanks for the link. I'll check into it. I had Bubba's do the dizzy rebuild and I'm not sure what unit was put in it. I need to look for my paper work. I think it's an Igniter II.

4. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Which Pertronix module? Basically, the idea is not to exceed the current limits (heat) through the primary ignition circuit. For example Ignitor 1 doesn't want to see more than 8 amps. Pertronix says a minimum of 1.5 ohm ignition coil in that situation. Where people run into probkems generally is the real low ohm coils designed for their specialty modules.

5. squirrel

squirrel

Also there are different coils, with different primary resistance...so you might need to know more about the coil, ie. is it 3 ohm? or 1.5 ohm? or what?

Truck64 likes this.
  6. I just read through the instructions and it says to remove all external resistors for optimum performance. Thanks for the link Jim. I got my answer.

squirrel likes this.
  7. The coil is a Mallory Voltmaster Mark II