Register now to get rid of these ads!

Question on Volvo Boxes for 49-51 Fords

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fat47, Mar 29, 2011.

1. Fat47

Fat47
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So, a Volvo 140 box bolts in (using an adapter plate) to a 49-51 Ford. This is a manual box, right? And a 242/244 is the power steering model, right? Does the latter also bolt in?

Thanks

2. Zerk

Zerk

Nope, 240/260 are later series with rack and pinion.

Many of the 164s from '71-'75 or so had power steering, and the boxes may bolt to the same plate as the 140 box. Also, I think later 140s, like '74-'75 may have PS optional, so it's worth looking if you find one. Not sure about the 1800 sports car...it may use the early style box, even in the later cars.

They are all good quality boxes, but will probably have lots of miles on them already.

3. Fat47

Fat47
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks Zerk. Did find some more infor in the archives.

4. JEM

JEM

You guys should check out some later BMWs, E34 ('89-95) 5-series and maybe the E32 ('86-94) 7-series, they're a newer iteration of the same ZF steering box family as the 164 and I think they've got the same pitman-arm direction of rotation (the car is a rear-steer design with the pitman arm hanging to the rear off the box, just like the '49-51.)

I believe they're also a slightly (only a little) quicker ratio than the Volvo (and of course the M5 boxes are something like 14.5:1 though rarer and no doubt pricier.)

Some will have Servotronic (a little PWM solenoid cube with a fuel-injector-type plug on it for variable-assist steering, it'll default to the minimum-assist end of its adjustment range if left unplugged, if you really want to wire the thing PM me for a few hints.)

There's certainly far, far more of them around than the 164 boxes. Walked past six or seven at the pick-n-pull yesterday at lunch. Output shaft housing might be a bit different, though.

I know the later E38 ('95-01) 7-series and E39 ('98-03) 5-series boxes have a very short output shaft, but the earlier ones are longer.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2011

5. daddylama

daddylama

i've been way into these little cars for a while now... even have a built 142 as a daily driver.
    the 164 boxes should bolt in as the 140 boxes do. i've got one or two of each as spares.

these boxes are getting expensive if you find a good one. most i see are pretty worn out.

i've never seen a 140 with power steering, with the possible exception of the last production year (which doesn't share many parts with the 140, it's more a 240)

the 1800 box isn't the same.

240 and up all use rack and pinion.

6. i called at least 3 volvo resto shops and they outright laughed at me when i asked about a power box "good fucking luck"! one guy said and that is why i'm cutting the 50' shit off the front of my 38' ford truck that some dumbfuck put in years ago, junk new junk now!

7. daddylama

daddylama

the power boxes are out there... just $$$ when you find them. i've seen one or two sell for $500. for what could be a clapped out box... nevermind.

the 140 manual boxes aren't too bad... but really, they're not too good either. even they are getting pricey. $250 isn't terribly uncommon.

8. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

I found a NOS 140 box from Germany's Ebay,with reasonable price.It was something like 250 euros.Not a bad price for a brand new box.
    I think you should search them from europe,if the prices are getting high?
    I am pretty sure that we have more Volvo parts than you do.
    Especially the Swedes have them...

9. I make the adapter for the volvo box's. I also have a few quailty rebuilt 140 & 240 boxes avail. I offer these boxes only to customers who buy my adapter kit for a very reasonal price but not as cheap as wrecking yard prices. If interested Pm me

10. Destralo Roach

Destralo Roach

I installed one in my buddys 51 Vicky, and it does fine with the manuwell box, Allmost a bolt in, had to use the ford taper reamer and I converted the horn button to out side the steering shaft wire, Horn belongs in the center of the wheel, not on the dash!!!

The power box would need the headers to be modifide to clear it, the Manual box is a tight fit but just clears.......Roach.

11. I have one in my 51, If you're looking for the power box they're mostly in wagons. Mine works great used the Fatman adaptor. Bought it all years back at my local u-pull it yard for under $40-, be sure and grab the remote reservoir pump and all hoses at the same time.
    Real nice road feel and you use your stock Ford pitman arm.

12. JEM

JEM

Can someone tell me the output shaft details on the 164 box? Major (top of the splines) and minor (bottom) and spline count and whether it's got any keys or keyways (missing or doubled splines)?

Let me tell you a story...'64 Ford pitman arms are 1 1/8-36, Opel Omega/Cadillac Catera steering boxes (also a ZF box of the same family as the Volvo 164 box and the BMW boxes I listed above) are 28mm tapering to 27mm, also 36 splines, and when you put the Ford arm on the Catera box it looks just like this pic (borrowed from one of the other Volvo-box-into-shoebox threads):

[​IMG]

I found an acquaintance in Turkey with access to a shop that can cut the Ford arms to the metric taper to fit the ZF box (it's not much bigger, you're not taking a lot of metal out):

[​IMG]

which struck me as a better idea than (a) forcing the arm onto the shaft or (b) cutting, welding, etc. or (c) spending weeks or months looking for someone here to do it, and the end result (well, the END result will be a driveable car, but...) looks like this (please note how beautifully, perfectly, the stock Omega/Catera firewall boot fits up to the '64 Ford firewall, just need to waterjet a little cover plate to adapt it and a little column re-engineering):

[​IMG]

I've got a couple more arms he just finished being shipped back now for spares/future needs, not sure if he's into doing this sort of thing as a line of business but if the dimensions are what's needed and you're interested, I can put you in touch.

The price of the work thus far has been quite reasonable, but then you've got to add $55 or so round-trip shipping and a few bucks in Turkish customs fees and figure in shipping time...

Last edited: Apr 1, 2011
  13. desertrodder

desertrodder

I installed the 140 manual box in my 49 about 15 years ago and since have installed 6 more on club members 49-51 Fords. The installation is easy, only takes about 5 hours and the results are fantastic. I have put 32,000 miles on my 49 since the install and it still drives and handles like a new car. No play at all and very responsive. Short of a clip job and rack and pinion, it's the only way to go. Wes