Register now to get rid of these ads!

Question on value of 31 Ford Coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rcasada, Sep 5, 2009.

1. rcasada

rcasada
    from Missouri

Any one out there that can help me with a little information, I would appreciate it. I am trying to find the value of a 31 steel Ford coupe. Stock body, frame, flathead engine, couple of rust holes. Has the full fenders, hood and so on. 3 speed tranny, banjo rear. The old car can be driven but need to be redone. Needs glass.

Thanks for you help in advance.

2. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

3-4k'z with no pic's!

3. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I'd never pay more than 50 bucks for a car I can't see.

4. Cool
    I need to raise about 800 or so dollars and I sure I can dream up 16 cars you can't see on a moments notice. ;)

As for what as has been already said I probably am not in a position to drop 4 ot 5K on a project but I'm thinking that is about the going price these days. Thank goodness for ebay. :rolleyes:

I'd want to get a look at it before I weighed in.

You didn't mention if it was wearing the stock flatty or the more valued version with 8 cylinders. Unless you are going to restore it or build a pre war rod I can't see the banger giving it much value. Maybe you could sell it to someone in the banger crowd or a restorer and recoupe some of your investment.

5. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

Cool
    I need to raise about 800 or so dollars and I sure I can dream up 16 cars you can't see on a moments notice.

excellent. I'll send you a cashiers check for the full amount plus shipping, then you send the shipping money to my agent in Nigeria via Western Union.

6. rcasada

rcasada
    from Missouri

8 cylinder flathead. I have seen it, I just don't have pics handy. body is good except for rust area about 2 inches 4 behind both doors. original frame, suspension. Converted to 12 volts.

Thanks for the help from those with constructive information. I appreciate it.

7. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

rcasada-you have been around cars enough to know that it only worth what you are willing to pay. Is it something that you have always wanted, or just a chance at a cheap deal? It is up to you. If you want serious help here you need to get pictures to post and more details, like is it driveable; parked in a barn; is is really For Sale or did you just spot it somewhere? , etc. Have fun!

8. We see these kinda questions almost every day,,and without a photo the prices are all over the board,,,takesome photos and then ask the question,,,you will get more honest answers,,

And you may not believe it but Porknbeaner is being honest,,WE can't help you if WE can't see the car.HRP

9. where do i send that nigerian cashiers check too man! i take it sight unseen man! you ship it quick man, i wait!

10. Now that sounds like the deal of a lifetime. :)

Hell just tell me where to send the shipping money and I'll get things started while your check is in the mail. I'm thinking that western Union is a bad idea though, perhaps I should just get a big envelope . . . :D

11. rcasada

rcasada
    from Missouri

Very interesting......... I had one person that tried to help, one "S....A.." and one that likes pictures.

I really do appreciate it guys. I will try to get some pics of it. I just did not have them at the time of the post.

Thanks, and have a good long weekend. Drink a cold one for me.

12. rcasada

rcasada
    from Missouri

Here is a picture of the car I posted about if it helps with the question of whats it worth on the market today. Just looking for an honest guess.

Thanks.

[​IMG]

13. Looks like it needs to be torn apart and rebuilt,,,I'm guessing,,$2,500,,to $3,000. HRP

14. rcasada

rcasada
    from Missouri

Thanks, I appreciate it. Sounds like the guy is just a little steep on pricing.

15. I'm with HRP on this one. As are becomming more valuable by the minute but that one is going to need a little attention.

I do like the way it sits though. At least from this angle. Make the fella an honest offer than wait a month and go back and visit him again.

16. str8axle55

str8axle55
    from MA

I`d say $3K all day long. Looks like it is mostly all there. I think it`d be a pretty sweet ride, make it safe and drive the snot out of it. How much is the guy asking, no pic of the front with the price, and phone #.....

17. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Looks darn solid, but somebody else has worked on it, so is that flatty V-* an original '31 flatty? If so, that's a pretty rare "A."

My dad's dad had a '28 and a '32 Ford, and even my dad hadn't heard of Ford putting early V-8s into late-'31 Model A's. I can't convince him.

18. rcasada

rcasada
    from Missouri

I would have about 4400.00 in the car all said and done with it being delivered about 250 miles to me. The gentleman is very firm on his pricing. Its one of those deals where he really does not care if he sells it or not. It runs good, 24 bolt flathead, I believe a 38 to 48 motor as the bell housing is integral with the block and the water outlets are centered on the heads. The tranny is a stock 3 speed. The rear is stock. The front is stock.

19. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

At that price you could do worse. It would somewhat depend on how the flathead was installed (quality of the work). If it was a cobble job you would almost be starting from scratch. Also, if the flatty is in really decent shape (not needing a rebuild) you could get it drivable and decide what direction you'd like the end result to be. That would be a definite plus.
    Keep us informed on how it goes. There is a lot of help here and you could end up with a sweet traditional ride.

Frank

20. rcasada

rcasada
    from Missouri

Thanks for the input Frank. Greatly apprecieated.

Its Miller time. (Actually Budweiser)

21. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

22. madpole

madpole

that seems pretty fair to me. if you can drive it, it looks like a lot of fun for the money. does it have the mechanical brakes or has it been updated to juice? and... find some different wheels!

23. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Actually, I think Pork&Beaner has a good point: The guy has offered it for sale, there's a recession on, usally people are flexible on price, ven when they say they rae not.

24. rcasada

rcasada
    from Missouri

Juice brakes and drivable. I agree that many folks says its their bottom dollar and usually it is not. This guy is pretty darn firm. Does not seem flexible on price.