Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Question on turn signals with LED bulbs

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Russco, May 1, 2017.

1. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

I recently was nearly rear ended so I want to upgrade to LED 1157 type bulbs for the rear. I have a modern type signal stat unit and was wanting to know if the front incandescent bulbs will pull enough amperage to make the flasher unit work if I have LED's in the rear. Does anyone have any experience with these? Thanks

2. That's a great question, one I don't have an answer to but, I await responses from those who do.:)

3. I have a similar set up in my roadster. The rears are 46 Chevy with LED lenses. They would work for one or two flashes and then stop and just be on solid. I replaced the flasher with a low load flasher for use with LED's and it works just fine afterwards. Just go ahead and get the LED flasher. you'll most likely need it.

39cdan, timwhit, Max Gearhead and 4 others like this.
  4. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

It's been a few years since I wired my car but if it's a stand alone signal unit isn't the flasher built into the unit?

5. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Probably not. There should be a box or can in there that does the flashing. You can just get an electronic one, if it is external.

Nailhead Jason likes this.
  6. Max Gearhead likes this.
  7. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

8. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

9. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Nice goin', @moose! Thanks...Needed to know that. (customer's O/T car...)

10. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have that flasher in my car, and it is 100% LED, including the headlights. It works fine.

Running dummy load is just adding resistance to the system, but instead of using that resistance to produce light, each is just producing waste heat, and putting additional, unnecessary load on the charging system.

39cdan likes this.
  11. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

12. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You can also buy pre-load or load simulators that you wire in the taillight harness that simulates the draw of the 1157.

Or buy a better LED bulb that has the load simulator already installed in the bulb. They also make CANBUS bulbs that will talk to your onboard computer (in rides so equipped) to override the "light out" error message caused by the low power draw of the LED bulb.

I'm not into the LED thing on my cars but if you go that route, it is 2017 after all.

13. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

With some of our small tail light cars this is a good idea. I use halogen lights because of this.

14. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

OKAY I did exactly the same thing. I replaced my tail lights with the LEDs as mentioned. My fronts were 1157 wired so both filaments worked at the same time. (no park function) The standard flasher worked fine. Then I changed my front light assemblies with only one filament. NO GO. I had to get a flasher listed for LED. The plain "electronic" flashers do not work regardless of what the parts counter guy says. BTW the LED s are quite visible, work well. Also check out the thread here about third brake lights. It is very informative.

15. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I had to use the resistors in my OT 2013 truck. There is no flasher and no place to replace one. The "clicking" sound is electrically generated and comes out of the speaker in the LF door.

16. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Have used the LED's tailights on 6-7 40's with std bulbs in the front that have both park and turn function--they work fine--have to ck the flasher I use though--can't recall

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  17. 26hotrod

26hotrod
    from landis n c

I suggest going to a class 8 truck parts house for the flasher. LED's are used on all big rigs now...........

18. That's what I used on the 32 pickup. HRP

[​IMG]

Russco likes this.
  19. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

i wasn't into them either but almost getting hit 2 times in one week is enough to change my mind.

Yeah my 40 lights show up quite well at night, but not so much during bright daylight, I think its as much the angle as the small light housing.

My Daily has (had) a speaker that simulates the engine sound inside the cockpit.

Thanks Tim thats how mine is wired too in front I guess i can check out the LED's with built in resistance too. I didn't know there was such a thing.

Thanks for the Replies fellas, I think I've got enough info to try a few things.

Bandit Billy likes this.
  20. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

the led bulbs dont do much in the 40 housings, im starting on a 3rd 40 project and have and will use another set of the led lites built into the new 40 lite units. cant think of the name but they work great! leds are set up for great vision at nite or day. well worth the 114.00 for a set. i will look up the name for you.

olscrounger and Russco like this.
  21. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Exactly the flasher I used, $15 at O'Reilly's.

mike in tucson likes this.
  22. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I used the lights from Tecnostalgics?? I think--complete assy's-fit the fenders better than stock lights too

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  23. Technostalgia part #6027:)

24. part#6027

Attached Files:

25. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

thats the ones. i have used several sets, they work great! bright day or nite, i have a set in my 56 chevy, work great.