Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Question on turn signal wiring

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by evintho, Sep 7, 2017.

1. evintho

evintho

I'm currently wiring my turn signals. I went with Rich B's wiring diagram. I got sorta turned around on the relay pins and inadvertently wired the 86's to a 12v source and the 85's to the turn signal switch. That shouldn't make a difference..........should it??
    87, 87a & 30 are wired as per the diagram.

[​IMG]

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. As long as you don't have relays with internal diodes for fixed coil polarity, it won't matter.

I will comment on switching the ground side of the control circuit though.... I'm not a fan of this. While it can simplify the wiring somewhat, if one of those wires shorts to ground that will cause the circuit to operate regardless of the switch position. That will be the only indication of the problem.

3. evintho

evintho

I doubt the relays have internal diodes. They were the cheap ebay models. Is there a way to tell?

4. Put your multimeter on ohms, and read across the coil connections; no diode, you'll get the same reading when you reverse the meter probes. With diode, you'll get a roughly 80 ohm reading one way, much higher or open the other way.

5. evintho

evintho

80 ohms across, both ways. No diode. Thanks!

6. MRTS33

MRTS33

Why are you using relays for your directional? Are they drawing a lot of amps? Maybe for headlights or fog lights but directionals normally don't draw enough amps for a need for relays.

7. He needs the relays to separate the front and rear turns so the brake lights don't light up the parking lights...

8. evintho

evintho

3 wire LED's out back, conventional turn signals up front.

9. MRTS33

MRTS33

Ok Got ya!!!;)

10. If you want to get noticed instead of getting rear-ended, get a "3rdBrakeFlasher" module for $20 and your brake lights will flash 4 times then go solid. It's a tiny module which, since you have relay, is an easy retrofit. A few additional bux will get a fancier model which has a g-force sensor to provide different flashing patterns to notify the car bearing down on you. http://www.3rdbrakeflasher.com/brak...flasher-module-with-brake-force-monitor-p-183.