Register now to get rid of these ads!

Question on Tire Size / Rim Width?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by alwayzarat, Oct 17, 2011.

1. alwayzarat

alwayzarat

I just picked up some cool vintage wheels thanks to the H.A.M.B. !
    They are 15's and 8.5" wide. Right now I am running some H78 bias ply wide whites on steelies and am wondering if this size tire would work? In looking on Coker's web-site, most of the rim widths are listed as 6-8" wide for the H78, G78, and L78 series tires. I definitely want to keep with a vintage look. I have also been looking at the Towel City Retreads which are a cool cheater slick based off a 235/75-15 tire (I think?). I'm not sure if these would be wide enough for the rim either? When I check the specs on a 235/75-15 it also lists a max width of 8".

I don't want to spend a ton of money on tires, trying to be in the $150 to $200 dollar range per tire.

Thanks in advance for any advise!

2. A tire that is an 8.5 section width or a 9.00 section width is about perfect for those rims or if you want a buldge go with a 10.0 or 10.50 section width. Have you actually measured therim to see if it is 8.5"? A lot of times advertised width is not the same as actual width. 8.5 is an odd width is why I am asking.

3. alwayzarat

alwayzarat

Good info, thank you. I am waiting on the rims to arrive, and then I will measure them. Perhaps measuring from the inside of each lip will give a measurement slightly less than 8.5" ?