Register now to get rid of these ads!

Question on plasma cutters

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mustangsix, Mar 31, 2006.

1. mustangsix

mustangsix

I was looking at those little plasma cutting rigs. 110V, cuts up to 3/16", severs 1/4", selfcontained compressor. Seems like a nifty little tool if you do a lot of sheetmetal cutting.

Anybody ever use one of these?

(OK, yeah I can already hear some of you saying buy the BIG 220V version.):rolleyes:

2. Crusty Nut

Crusty Nut

Once you get it you will want to use it for everything (like I do).
    Mine is rated at 3/8th" and will sever cut 1/2 or 5/8th. That way the machine is in its "comfort zone" for any fab work needed on a car. I forget the model # but mine is a Miller and I am very happy. I've had it about 2 years. Don't forget the coolest thing about a plasma is that it will cut any metal that cunducts electricity like copper, aluminum, stainless.

3. brewsir

brewsir

I don't know about the self contained compressor type but I have a thermodyne cutmaster 38 or something like that...I love it! I use it for everything from sheetmetal to plate....rust repeir in a floor is stupid easy now...just make sure there isn't anything flammable under where you are cutting (like gas lines) takes longer to get out the machine than it does to cut out the floor!

4. The Deviator

The Deviator
    from Utah

let me put in my thoughts of self contained units. iv used them they suck ass the thermodimnamicks pac 38 is buy far the best one Ive ever used an that's out of about 20 different machines. the consumables for it are cheaper than most others. and if your trying to save space get a small compressor like house framers use and put it on hand truck. but then opinions are like ass holes(they all stink)

5. Retrorod

Retrorod

My Hobart Plasma is pretty good, not self-contained but it does everything we need

6. AntiBling

AntiBling

I love my Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 51. Its rated for 1/2", but I do a lot of work on the farm so I wanted something rated for at least 1/2".

7. 392_hemi

392_hemi

I recommend the Miller 375. It's about $1100, but will handle just about anything you'll need it for working on cars. Make sure you have a good clean air supply. I use one of those toilet paper style filters.

8. flatheadmalc

flatheadmalc

I have a hypertherm powermax 380, will cut up to 3/8 no prob, makes a very precise fine cut, I often use hard card board for patterns. It's no self contained though. IMHO go for the most you can afford, everytime I've bought a smaller unit I've ended up replacing it and taking a beating on the resale.

9. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

I also do not have a self contained unit. My Century (I'd have to look at it to see what unit it is, but its was rated at 1/4") is almost 10 years old now, its done a lot of cutting with very little trouble. Figure clean cuts at 1/2 of the rating, with new consumables. Make sure you can get consumables and they are reasonably priced. My Century will use up both tips and nozzels at a pair an hour, cutting time. One can do a lot of cutting in an hour, but it can add up pretty fast.
    My plasma sits more often then it gets used these days, but there are just some things that are a lot easier with the plasma, rusted floorboards being a big one.
    Gene

10. I have a thermal dynamics cutmaster 38 and I really do like it, it's not a built in compressor model but it does have voltage sensing circutry in it so it will run on 110v or 240v.

11. I looked at the self contained units. My local Welding sullpy house recommended not to even consider one. Said they are very under powered. A similar priced unit that used external air source would cut much thicker material and better quality cuts. This is in either 120 volt or the BIG 220 volt version:rolleyes: :D

Tim

12. Special Ed GT

Special Ed GT
    from Denver-ish

You ever thought about getting one of those 220V versions? :)

I got a Cutmaster 38 but then realized that I needed more horsepower to cut 1/4", so I got a Cutmaster 51 and I love it. Like a welder, IMO this is one of those deals where you might want to buy something bigger than you think you'll need.

Hank

13. buick320a

buick320a
    from indiana

I've got a self contained unit, only good for sheet metal ! But I also have a 40 amp unit that I use for everything else. Would NOT suggest you buy only the smaller version.......you'll regreat it, remember "the only thing cheap at a bargin table , is the son-of-a-bitch doing the buying"

14. brandon

brandon

i traded around and ended up with a miller 110 self contained unit.....works killer on sheetmetal ......and thats about it...occassionally i use it on some 1/8 and 3/16.....but for the 300 i ended up in it...it does the job .....get the bigger one ....brandon

15. man-a-fre

man-a-fre

contained or not dry air is a must or youll go through tips often.

16. noboD

noboD

I have a Hobart, not selfcontained. It's about the size of a brief case, cuts 1/4 inch great. They should be on a dedicated 110 line, or it will blow the breaker.

17. noboD

noboD

BTW, I use 1/4 masonite for patterns. Saw them out on a bandsaw, clamp them on and go.