Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical question on model a vs. 34 front axle components

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lostone, Jul 22, 2017.

1. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

I picked up a new complete 33_34 4" dropped axle assembly with everything, spring, axle, wings, 4 bars etc.

My question is looking around I see different kits listed as 28_31, 32, 33_34, etc. But noticed most items if bought separately just say 28_48. So I planned on using this kit on my 31` tudor with a 440 and I was wondering is the only difference the front spring?

It was too cheap to pass up so I thought I would give it a try.

2. Frame brackets for the 4 bar and possibly length of the bars would be the difference between A, '32, and '33-'34.

3. alchemy

alchemy

Some guys like a 46 inch axle in an A, and a 48 in a 34. But if you buy the proper offset wheels you could make anything work.

4. ^
    Had a 48" Super Bell tube axle in my '33; the fender lips would have loved a 46".;)

5. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

Thanks guys for the help.

The axle is a 46", the 4 rod lengths seem to be the same between most kits at 21" so the only real difference that I can attribute to is spring rate.

The spring is of no real concern as I have reworked numerous springs thru the years, just getting harder to swing that 10 pound sledge one Handed while holding the spring leaf with the other!

OT but we used to custom build leaf spring packs for everything from stock to lifted trucks and lowered hot rods, thankfully most people just buy springs now days. We did it with a sledge hammer and big anvil just like the old days. It's an art for sure and my mentor was one of the best auto frame and suspension guys out there.