Register now to get rid of these ads!

Question on lubing '40 ford rear axle bearings

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TomCat 1, Jul 31, 2012.

1. TomCat 1

TomCat 1

I'm assembling my rear axle after rebuilding the brakes etc and I know when we used to work on grain truck rear drum bearings we always packed some wheel bearing grease in there by hand to lube them so you didn't have a dry start up drive. Just wondering if I should do that on my '40 roller drum bearings? I assume they get lubed from the rear end grease working its way down the axle tube ??????? (which makes me question some things I've read about only filling the rear end lube up to 1 1/2" below the fill hole). Is that high enough to get lube out to the outer bearings? Maybe they don't get lubed by the rearend grease???? Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

2. Vergil

Vergil

The only grease they will see is what you pack in them unless your housing has a grease fitting behind the flange. Ford stopped putting the zerk in because people were over greasing the bearings. I would pack them by hand and call it good. There are axle seals in the bell housings to keep the rear end oil from coming out the end of the housing.

Vergil