Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Question on heater hose shut off valves

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gasoline Junkie, Jun 6, 2014.

1. Gasoline Junkie

Gasoline Junkie

I've gotten accustomed to driving my old hot rod in the heat of the summer, but this is my first with a working heater core. I've seen cars with a valve on a heater hose to prevent hot water getting to the core. Does this affect how the car runs at all? Does it matter if I put the valve directly on the pump or on the heater hose?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. Really won't matter. Put it where it works best for you. Easiest.

3. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

It's only there to keep the interior of the car from getting too hot in Summer. It in no way affects performance, but you may lose a little cooling capacity. (You know, how we turn on our heaters sometimes if the car starts running hot to add some cooling effects from the heater core) But under normal circumstances it doesn't matter either way.

Don

4. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

get one you can hook a cable to so you can open it inside the car.

5. Gasoline Junkie

Gasoline Junkie

Oh ok, I thought that if it didn't flow from the pump it would cause a problem because usually when I see cars without heat they run a hose from one end of the pump to the other instead of just plugging it

6. fleetside66

fleetside66

I've been using one on my '66 for years..just one from Home Depot...no ill effects. ..works great.

8. banginona40

banginona40

Most AC systems have a shutoff valve to keep water out of the heater core when the AC is on. I didn't trust the vacuum operated shut off valve on one AC system and replaced it with a manual valve from NAPA.

9. hotrod37

hotrod37
    from Indiana

If you do have an A/C unit, I think you want the value in the line running to the heater core and not after, so the A/C doesn't have to cool the heater too.

10. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

it doesn't matter where the valve is as long as it stops the flow of hot water in the system. No flow...no heat. I like the aftermarket valve made to screw into the intake just because it looks old with the small screw to shut off the flow. In the old days it was not unusual to see common plumbing valves in the heater hose. Not very attractive but it worked and usually the owner worked in the trade so they were free.

11. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

Summit has manual heater shut off valves, I just installed them on my car. You only need one to stop the flow to the heater, but I put two in, to not have pressure on my heater core when I don't need it.

12. If the system has a bypass route and a heater core it won't matter.

If the heater core is also the bypass route it's going to matter a whole bunch when you stop the flow.

13. Gasoline Junkie

Gasoline Junkie

I actually had a plumbing valve laying around the shop I was gonna thread onto the pump

Attached Files:

14. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

15. It's a bit bulky but there is no reason you can't use it,,it's definitely heavy duty. HRP

16. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Coolant does NOT flow from the water pump it flows into It flows out of the top of the engine to the heater through the heater and to the water pump just as coolant though the radiator does.

There is a slick little heater control valve made for 63/72 Ford Broncos and some same era F series pickups Ford part number C3UZ18495A that can be crossed real easily and doesn't cost much more than the ball valve that Gasoline Junie showed that will let you control the heater from inside with a cable.

17. squirrel

squirrel

nine times out of ten, that's because the heater core started leaking, and it was easier to just bypass it, than to find a couple of plugs.

18. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Especially if you are on the side of the road 30 miles from nowhere. Just a temporary fix....yeah right!!

19. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Funny, just saw HRP's reply ^^^ on ElDiablo's Thompson Shop Truck thread that he started about an hour ago. Is this what y'all are talking about?

DOCWHIT likes this.
  20. Gasoline Junkie

Gasoline Junkie

So if it flows from the top of the engine and then down, I have to put the valve on the intake side then, right? I was planning on putting it on the pump so it's out of the way for the most part. But if I do it that way then hot water will still get to the core?

21. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

If you are shutting it off it does not matter where you shut it off. No flow = no heat.

22. stimpy

stimpy

we use the vacuum controled bypass they use on the late model explorers http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=815516&cc=1119653 , shuts the whole heater core from the engine but allows the water still to bypass and prevents any type of thermo siphoning from happening , its real nice as if the air temp changes quickly during the night or day you don;t have to pop open the hood and try to mess with the valve as the ones on semis we have had them seize over non usage periods and you have to loosen the packing to get them to move .

23. jazz1

jazz1

I took my shut off valve from a honda civic at the pick a part..they said no charge when I showed them the part...someday it will get warm enough to use it...