Register now to get rid of these ads!

Question on air suspension and the "traditional" hot rod

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Vermonster, Mar 17, 2009.

1. Vermonster

Vermonster

I have searched the site (for several hours), and have lurked for a loooooooooooooooooooooooong time (several years), so don't shoot me If i've missed it, but can an air shock or perhaps even an air-over-leaf, such as on the back axle of an old ford pickup ('50) find it's way onto a "tradional" build?

I have never really considered bagging this truck, though a recent read got me thinking about the potential of pneumatic suspension components (particularly regarding ride height and also functionality while increasing load capacity)

Thoughts? flames? popcorn?

Please bestow some knowledge on an admittedly amateur builder, working on his first project...

Thanks in advance,
    Tim

2. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

One of the great things about trucks is you can break any rule if it's in the name of function.

good luck

3. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

Traditional is a big word and used as a big broad paint brush. I think you can build a traditional appearing truck with any technology you want underneath, so long as you are careful and thoughtful about it.

Would it be a traditional suspension system? No. Would your pioneering spirit to tamper with and improve what you have at hand be traditional? Yes. The folks we seek to emulate now were not happy with what they had and they invented, adapted and over came the obstacles before them.

4. Vermonster

Vermonster

Perhaps this thread can evolve two-fold, then?

Air vs. tradition, and also the advantages/ disadvantages to air suspension for functionality's sake?

Maybe I don't ask the right questions...

[​IMG]

5. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

No tradition to air suspension. It was limited to the occasional oddity pre-64. Heavy trucks are really what popularized it, and that wasn't until the 70s

"traditional" era, they likely would've mounted a second pair of smaller leafs as overloads that only helped when the truck was squatted a little.

6. twofosho

twofosho

Might get away with it on a 50s/60s build if you tell people they're auxiliary bags and put real Air/Lift stickers from the time in your windows. Unless you own a 58 to 60 car with OEM bags or the Ala Kart of course, then you wouldn't need no stinkin stickers.

7. Defisch

Defisch
    from Hudson FL.

I say build it how you like it trucks look cool on bags slammed to the ground. besides the same guy that says "thats not traditional" is probably driving around with a fiberglass 32' with 4 wheel disc brakes, mustang ifs, 4 link rear, radials, clearcoat paint and a 4 valve 4.6 cobra motor. not that I mind any of these but seems like those are the guys that feel they have to say something about it. JMO

8. I agree, while traditional seems to be a broad term, the forefathers of our great hobby adapted what was available to them. We obviously have more now than they ever did. I think if it sone tastefully, then why not. It is your truck and your money, screw what everyone thinks. I have hydraulics on mine, and it is great for laying it down when I want to, and raising it up for clearance and travel. Plus, I am of the opinion that anything looks better sitting all the way down.