Register now to get rid of these ads!

Question on 55 Buick

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotroddub, Dec 30, 2012.

1. Hey guys, I was looking for a set of front springs for my 55 Buick. Basicly just looking a good place to order them from that doesnt have a crappy product. Also, im looking for info on converting the stock rear to open drive. I remeber a thread awhile back on the conversion, but cant find it again through the search. Thanks for any help.

2. belair

belair

missysdad (or something close to that) did Chevelle rear end conversion on a 55 that was nice, and Z-man did a Jag on a 57..

3. twilloug

twilloug
    from Omaha

St. Louis spring. Look them up on the internet. ordered a set of stock springs for my 41 chevy lowered 3".

they will actually make you a custom set if you need. Otherwise they will make stock springs to spec. they are great.

4. deadendcruiser

deadendcruiser

Check out Eaton springs in Detroit. They have any spring and height you may want.

5. Alright! Thanks guys. Does anyone have any information on the open drive conversion?

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Probably the simple way to do that is to go with what is referred to as a truck bar setup that copies what the coil spring Chevy trucks from the 60's and early 70's used and what Nascar requires on the cup cars. It's also popular with guys bagging cars.

7. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I did the open drive line conversion on my '55 Special several years ago and I think I still have the write-up w/ pics as to how I did it. PM me with your email address and I'll send it to you.
    -Bob

8. jr9162

jr9162

If the axle is not too wide, use a 56 Buick axle, and diff from early 60's Buick to convert the torque tube to open diff. You'll need to fab up something regarding the radius rods, the OEM rods are too thin to suffice. Look up late 60's Chevy truck (NASAR) suspension. You can retain coils out back, or bag it. Just realize the 60's Chevy truck trailing arm suspension was designed to allow the arms to flex.