Register now to get rid of these ads!

Question is...can I run exhaust studs w/ my headers?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mbmopar, Oct 8, 2008.

1. mbmopar

mbmopar
    from Canada

I'm wondering if i will encouner any problems using exhaust studs when i bolt on my new headers to my 440?

I will seal the threads that enter into the cooling passages in the heads, no problems there.but wondering if this is an accepted means of installing headers? I would use lock nuts and washers.

Alot of talk now-adays about locking header bolts, etc.

I like low tech...anyone forsee any issues other than trying to get the headers onto the porcupine of an engine with all the studs sticking out?

Best, thanks for the insight....I'm sure there will be some,
    Derek

2. Ran studs on my 71 Charger 383. No problems OTHER than getting the left side header on past the starter and steering box. Ended up that there was one stud in the way, so it kept coming in and out. I switched to a stud with an internal hex drive so it was easier to remove and replace. Kind of a PITA, but no real issues... BTW, AN "jet" nuts are the cat's ass for exhaust flanges. They go on and off ok, but NEVER come loose, IME. The small hex looks pretty trick too.

3. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yep, like exwestracer said, as long as you have room to get the header to slip over the studs, no problems. Aren't them Chrysler motors with the "wet" holes the cat's ass?

4. mbmopar

mbmopar
    from Canada

Thanks Exwest.....these AN"jet" nuts....where are they available? I was going to run locknuts.

Thanks all, !
    Derek

5. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Speedway carries an assortment of the smaller headed "jet" nuts. The come in handy for LOTS of things!

6. Good source, just kinda be wary of the "super cheap" stuff. I've seen the them peel threads off a bolt after a couple of uses...

How about this? http://stores.kaizen-ms.com/Detail.bok?no=37
    :eek::D

If you don't have to remove any for installation, chase the threads in the head and put them in with blue loc-tite. No worries about the nut pulling the stud out with it...

7. 66biskwik

66biskwik

The key also is to use a good gasket. I use the copper ones and never have had a problem with leaks. They are a bit $$$$.