Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Question for Y block guys

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by King ford, Jan 23, 2020.

1. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

greetings HAMB brothers and sisters!....as my screen name indicates I love my FORDs but don't claim expert status! A good friend of mine has told me 312 crankshafts can be identified by an " aspirin sized bump" on the outer radius of the flywheel flange ....would this hold true for ALL of them, even " replacement " parts?....also are B8ae and ECZ both 292-312 blocks?...I'm pretty sure the ECZ is.....as always thanks in advance for any info!....also, yes I know that I could " sorta measure " the stroke with a rod down the sparkplug hole , just hoping for an easy ID in a field I.D. Type situation!

Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
    dana barlow likes this.
  2. Wanderlust

Wanderlust

I have heard about the asprin dot, never seen one but I believe that’s only on stock cranks. Easiest way I know is to drop the pan and check the caps EBU is 292. ECZ is 312

stillrunners, egads and dana barlow like this.
  3. Almost all of the 312 cranks have the "dot"

I have heard and also experienced one 312 crank that did not have the "dot" .That engine/crank without the "dot" was in a Canadian produced 312 engine.

I dont believe there ever was a B8AE casting. There is a B9AE casting that is both a 312 and a 292. You will usually find those B9E casting in Mercurys.

Picture of the 312 identifing "dot" below.

Oldmics DSCF0330[1].JPG

dana barlow and egads like this.
  4. dana barlow and egads like this.

5. My understanding is that crankshaft is the easiest identification. And, the one 312 I own has that feature on the crankshaft so at least that one was verified that way.

6. egads

egads

Take a 312 crank and cut the mains to fit the 292 block; 312 pistons and rods and you have a 312. EASY.

7. Or just bore a 292 out .125 and you have a 312. ;)

8. Not quite right !

312s came out in 1956 .They did cease to be installed into Ford applications in 1957 , however Mercury continued on with the 312 until 1960.

Oldmics

egads and guthriesmith like this.
  9. Yep, my 312 is a 56.

10. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

Thanks for all the info guys, the story on my engine is this...my slightly off topic 1960 3/4 ton four wheel drive truck was bought by my uncle in about 1963 and had a spun bearing. When having it repaired he wanted a 312 crank installed and believed that one was. I am going to study John Mummerts web site and see what I can learn further!...thanks again guys!