Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical question for wisconsin guys on title serial number

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 0NE BAD 51 MERC, Jun 3, 2018.

1. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

Have any of you guys ever gotten a Wisconsin title with the serial number being 5 numbers and then WIS ? I bought a 51 Bel air 25 years ago from a guy who owned it from 1972. Back then I never really paid attention to the serial number. I bought it with the intent of restoreing it to kind of a clone of the one my Dad had when I was born in 1955. Later found a better one and built that one instead. This one has been sitting in the barn and I have been thinking of selling it. Well I dug out the title and seen this serial number and knew it was not the original style number. Then I got to looking at the title for a 52 chevy business coupe I bought in 1999 from a guy that had it since1981 and it is the same way, five numbers and then WIS, Anyone familiar with this. Both cars have been titled to me since I bought them , but now I am worry that people will think I don't have the correct titles? Any info would be appreciated. And Before I get a hundred responces saying you always check the serial number. 25 -30 years ago you bought a 52 chevy and the guy gave you a title for a 52 chevy in his name and you did not really question it! Larry

2. 1pickup

1pickup

Larry, I had a '79 Impala. It was damaged, as it was being unloaded at the dealer. Obviously, the people that ordered it, wouldn't accept it. A GM rep came out, took the vin tag off, & told them to scrap or donate the car for education. The only stipulation, was that it couldn't be sold for 7 years, if donated. It ended up at the High School. The plan was to strip the body off, & have a running chassis for auto shop class. Didn't happen. After 7 years, it went up for sale, & some friends bought it. They towed it home & got it running. I bought it. I had a 7 year old car, with 7 miles on it. Had it inspected by a State Trooper, & was issued a new tag that had to be welded in the door jamb. It had the WIS on it. Can't remember how many #s, but 5 seems right. So, my guess is a vin reassignment. What does the tag look like?

3. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

The Wisconsin DMV can probably answer your question accurately, if there are any 'old timers' around. I would speculate they are Wisconsin 'assigned' numbers for some reason. Does seem odd you ended up with two cars that way.

Ray

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  4. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

There you go...............;)

5. alchemy

alchemy

I wouldn't mind a car with a new assigned title. If the State of Wisconsin thinks it's ok I would too.

F&J and Hnstray like this.
  6. F&J

F&J

Has to be a Wisconsin reassigned number. Here in Connecticut, they all start with CT-----.

In my state, they are for homebuilt cars, trailers, or things like a "cab swap" on a pickup where you are not legally allowed to take the old VIN off the wrecked or rotted cab when you do the cab swap. DMV checks the paperwork for the donor cab, then puts the new CT number on it, with paperwork to back it up.

7. kabinenroller

kabinenroller

Wisconsin issued that type of serial number for “home built”, and “reconstructed” vehicles. It is common for a vehicle that was constructed, reconstructed, or rebuilt to have one. I am not sure if they are still being issued.
    Curt R. who posts here on the HAMB was/is very involved with every aspect of the Wisconsin DOT and our types of vehicle. Maybe he will see this thread and chime in.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2018
  8. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

I put a Vega body on a Scout chassis and got a WIS vin tag. Technically anything modified is supposed to get inspected and a new vin but many people get by with it. Many at the DMV aren't even aware of it. I had called the DMV and was told that as long as it had the running gear from the Scout, it was a Scout. I drove it for two years before a State Patrol inspector stopped me. I had titles for both vehicles so it wasn't a problem. Just got the stainless tag to weld on.

9. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

That's what I thought too. but I have checked both cars and the only serial number tags are the original chevy tags on the a pillers. Both of these cars where modified in the early 70s and 80s and have been registered with these numbers since that time. I contacted the dmv in Madison and got the " We have no current records on file, You will need to contact the State Patrol and have the numbers inspected!" pass the buck bull shit. So I guess it means I will have to contact the State Patrol, Make arrangements to have at least one inspected. And see what happens. The way things are now days no one is going to want them with out the correct tags that match the titles. They are both project cars that need a lot of work , but it would be a shame to part them out. Larry

Hnstray likes this.