Register now to get rid of these ads!

Question for upholstery gurus

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Black_Sheep, Jun 25, 2012.

1. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep

Today I looked at a bench seat from an early 90's Chevy truck for my '58. I pulled back the cover from the seat back and the upholstery fabric appears to be glued or molded to the seat foam. I would like to have the seat recovered to match my trucks interior, is it possible to remove the fabric without destroying the foam?

2. I have never seen the outer cover glued to the foam and have covered many Chev truck seats..

3. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep

I was looking online and one upholstery supplier's site states...

There are psuedo pleats molded in the foam with no corresponding stitching in the fabric.

4. Then your speaking of the foam that is sewn in with the cover,not the foam package on the frame...two different items...the cover is held on with hog rings and clips in certain areas,

5. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

88 to mid 90s trucks have the material glued to the foam and the foam molded to the seat frame so they really are not repairable,you can make a cover to go over the seats but thats about all.

6. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep

Thanks

7. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Chrysler tried it with a few models including the Dakota which I worked on tonight for a friend but it was just limited to the material glued to the foam and the frame is servicable,Ford done it with the 94 and up Mustang for a few years.

8. I hate to disagree with you...I have covered many of those years Chev PU seats,,,The cover with foam sewn in is removable from the frame foam...

9. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Yes they made seats that are not repairable,it was mainly the cloth seats that had the covers glued to the foam and the foam molded around the seat frames. I think the vinyl seats had a removable cover but the foam would not seperate from the frame,I have made covers to go over the non repairable seats.

10. 56premiere

56premiere
    from oregon

Well i was doing warannty work on gm seats when the non removable covers came out.you absolutely cannot take them off.But you can recover them,you have to make the covers as any other.You must add foam over the original pleats so as to make flat,or if going custom,add bolsters as desired.there are some seats from those same years that are remvable covers,cloth and vynil.

11. wheeler.t

wheeler.t

You can peel the covers off the foam without wrecking it if your careful, and want the foam pleats in your new seat. I'd peel it off and get an upholsterer to fill the factory foam pleats with new stuff and shave it flat like a normal seat. I've done that lots, then after shaving generally I'll wrap the foam with 1/4" or 1/2" regular foam, make new covers to that foam pattern and go

12. I guess all the trucks here in Texas used Vinyl seat,,

13. 33sporttruck

33sporttruck

wheeler.t got it right !!! The covers will peel off if you are very careful. I ran across this years ago when working part time at Spyder Gear Upholstery in Douglasville, Ga. The neat trick is you can actually recover them like factory, but it is a pain spraying glue between the cover and the old foam. Best to follow wheeler.t's suggestions. Jeff