Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Question for "Traditional and Older Traditional Hot Rodders"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jay Yuskaitis, Jul 30, 2014.

1. 1gearhead

1gearhead

Still have my own shop at 69. Don't do as much as I used to. Major heart attack and by-pass surgery. Also congestive heart failure twice, double pneumonia once and intestinal cancer surgery once. Pick and choose more as to what turns me on and I can physically do. Hey, you get old, parts wear out. Some you can replace and some you can't. So, you just do what you can and enjoy it!

2. TomWar

TomWar

I didn't add my health history when I posted yesterday, But, 7 years ago I had 5 bypasses,
    and a Pacemaker installed. I am going next week for a new pacemaker. Never had a heart attack.
    and hopefully won't.

3. Bearing Burner

Bearing Burner
    from W. MA

It takes twice as long to do half as much as it 10 years ago. I'm 70 now,.

4. 302aod

302aod
    from Pelham,Tn.

I just turned 60 about a month ago, been on disability 16 years. The few minutes I can work on my 64 F100 is done sitting down. If I work a couple hours, it takes a couple days to get over. I only get on the ground to do something if something is close to pull up on.
    I still plan to do my own work on it, 3 years and looks like I just started.

5. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

My cure is to stay active. I have never had a job, where I spent all day sitting on my ass. In fact, I've avoided a few that paid very well. That's what a person has to do. Just freaking STOP relying on all this automated bullshit that pollutes our lives.

Take the stairs, instead of an elevator., to just go 1 story. (I hate being in an elevator and someone hops on to go to the second floor from floor one). WALK! Just go for a damn walk a couple times a week.

There's an 80 something year old NUN, who has done the TRIATHELON!. She started training at 48 years of age. When I feel old and tired, I think about her.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madonna_Buder

Last edited: Aug 3, 2014
    loudbang likes this.
  6. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

I'm over 1/2 way to 73 and am usually pretty tired but if I can do stuff in stages, sooner or later it will get done. I hang out with a number of car guys my age or so and they all feel about the same but just keep going. I'm not going to say it gets any easier. When it comes time, get a cat, dig a pit, put me at the wheel and push the 40 in. I'm OK with that.

7. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

At 71 it definitely take longer to build a car than it used to but am still at it. Have the usual back, leg, and knee issues for my age and from being a lineman but still keep at it. Find that I can't go full tilt for 10 hrs anymore but current 40 is moving along well-and looking for the next one. Usually only put in about 6-7 hrs a day now. Current 40 is near done-took approx. 4 1/2 months-now need to search for the next one. I say every one is the last one but that was 4 or 5 cars ago. Wife is very supportive and lends a hand when needed.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2014
    dana barlow likes this.
  8. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

Some real quality work comes from one of those hours---I really admire your work.

9. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

Dam I got old fast

10. The key is to never stop moving. I have a desk job but I make sure I'm up and around during the day. I also take the stairs everywhere. I'm in the pool almost every day, make sure I get into the surf at least 2 times a week.

I was out of the gym for 8 weeks with my wife being terminally ill, I've been back into it for just over a month. I had stopped taking my vitamins and supplements and I feel it. Everyone here should be taking a joint supplement, it really helps.

11. mossback44

mossback44

I’ll be 70 in October and definitely have aches and pains that I didn’t a few years ago. I have compensated for some of that by building a new shop with heat and a/c, lots of lights and a two-post lift. I don’t regret spending money on air tools and power tools that help me do things that I used to do with hand tools.

I’m building a mild custom ’55 T-bird and a ’65 Buick Electra ragtop and hope to have both finished this winter. I’m also rebuilding a Hudson Twin H 308 engine for my ’34 Nash 4dr and am anxious to start on a ’35 Hupmobile that is waiting for my attention. I have completed a 360 Mopar engine ready to go in my ’36 Chrysler Airstream. I have a couple of other projects that I plan to get around to within the next couple of years. My wife says I’ll never finish all of them, but I tell her it doesn’t matter because I’d just find others to build if I did.

I also have help from a 22-year old college student who is fascinated with old cars. It’s a symbiotic relationship; he gets paid to work with me on my projects and learn while he’s doing it and I get some good, enthusiastic help getting them done.

12. trucker1

trucker1

Too bad you don't live nearby, us young'uns would love to trade out heavy lifting for a chance to learn the secrets you have learned from the good old days. I hope you guys will continue to pass it down. Glynn.

13. missysdad1

missysdad1

I'm not quite 70 and am still able to do pretty much everything I've always done...and I work hard to keep it that way. I'm fortunate to be in good general health, and I excercise every day. I recently lost about 20 pounds and found that to be the second smartest thing I've done in years.

What's the smartest thing I've done, you ask? Get rid of the television set, which I did about 15 years ago and have never regretted even for a moment.

I look at most of my friends who eat a little too well and do a lot too little and am greatful every day that I've kept active my entire life. The best excercise I've found is pushing away from the table.

I also use caution by asking for help when there's risk of injury involved. Too many guys are too proud to ask for help and end up with back injuries...or worse.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2014
  14. A few years back I noticed the older I got the older OLD seemed. Gonna hit 69 in a few months but it doesn't seem like it till I have to get under one of my cars. Thinking a lift is in my near future.

15. 60 and working on a project with my brother. Kinda slow going mostly because of being so busy at work. What really irritates me is my 85 year old neighbor who is building a T speedster with no slow down in sight. I have lived next to this guy for 16 years and in that time he has built or restored eight cars and trucks and four tractors.

16. Reading these posts give me inspiration. I am 66 and sometimes wonder why it takes me so long to get anything done and why I have what seems to me to be no energy. I think I keep forgetting that I am no longer a 30 year old go getter. I don't have the strength, stamina eyesight, energy or flexibility that I used to have and it always seems to surprise me every day that I can't do what I think I can. I live alone and have no help to do anything on my projects. I spend maybe 4 to 6 hours out in the garage and it seems like I get only an hours worth of work done. I guess reality has set in that I will just have to do as much as I can when I can. If you can accomplish even one task a day then its still progress. I don't think I will do any more painting as the eyesight is not very good anymore and my hands aren't as steady as they need to be. No more transmission swaps lying underneath...even getting up from underneath is a chore.
    Yes, I am older but still in relatively good health so it just means I am slower and need to use tools instead of brute strength to do things. Some of you guys are 10 years older than me and still going so I will accept my limitations but keep at it. Just take more breaks.
    I think I will head out to the garage now then finish the mowing after it cools off outside.

17. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

You guys are a real inspiration to me! I'm only 55, and have inherited arthritis from my Dad's side of the family, so after a good shop session it sometimes takes a day or two to recover. I've always heard it said, that a man who has worked all his life has to keep working or he'll dry up and die, and I've seen examples of it. I plan on keeping on as long as I can hold a wrench! That's what I love about the HAMB, all of the stuff you older guys share, I figure many of you have forgotten more than I'll ever know. It's great to see you guys well past retirement age still with the passion and the ability to get things done, even if it at a slower pace.

Never stop, just pace yourselves. It's ok to sit down and rest, but get back up and inspire us youngsters as much as you can! Thanks guys!!!!

loudbang likes this.
  18. Rogue63

Rogue63
    from New York

69 this year. 12 years had to sell my 35 because of health should have kept because I recovered. Haven't stop building since,slower yes can't jump back up from floor but the build runs through my veins. Without it I would be one those guys that retire and crap out.I will never be bored as long as I can machine and fabricate.This project is cruising 41 Chevy built with parts you can pick up any parts store. Bull-it proof I make myself and will never brake.

19. ken1939

ken1939

As pointed out, it was our job to learn from this generation so we could soldier on and teach others. Fact is most, if not all, of my closest friends from that era are gone. Guys who were Viet Nam era, like my late brother still had a foot in both camps, Muscle and Hotrods. He had a 70 Chevlle SS when he got back, but kept his 31 A Coupe he got as Easy Jacks until his death. His sons now have it. I think afterthe muscle car era it got skewed. Tastes changed and it was always the old guys with the 30s cars.
    Personally, I do all I can in my limited space. The dream of a 40x40 shop is just that. One at a time is all I can do space wise. And if I kept to script and did the old SBC routine I could probably get more completed, but I tend to want to do different things to increase my skills and vary each build.

20. 2935ford

2935ford

At 67, I have 4 projects on the go. One is finally on the road so I can enjoy driving one of them.
    Yeah, the getting up from the floor is fun.......I twisted the ol' back a few days ago and it is taking longer than usually to heal up.
    I putter out in the garage for hours.....sometimes just cleaning parts. I'm very thankful I have a younger helper to assist me. We'll get 'em done!

21. I'm 64 and my exuberant youth with motorcycles that lead to compound features to my right leg,pins and rods and a fused right ankle has now starting to take a tole on me physically.

I haven't been able to squat down or crawl around on my knees since 1974 but that doesn't stop me from working & building cars.

I will point out that it seems to take 10 times longer to do most thingsI use to do in a afternoon, but I still try to do a lot of my work. HRP

22. mike bowling

mike bowling

Best money I ever spent- 3 years ago the old lady said" you should build a garage".The next morning, my neighbor came over with his backhoe and away we went( I had already layed the lines out a million times in my head, and drawn up plans at work). 3 weeks later, a 15 X28 car house that holds 2 model A's. Heat,AC, fridge, and and good sound system, and I was finally HOME. Now even if I'm too tired or sore to "work", I can get a chair, turn on some tunes, and work in the "Research and Development Dept."( read hot rod magazines and build things in my head.) Good stuff. E Z does it.

Attached Files:

23. DeucemanLt1

DeucemanLt1

Jay, remember the guy with 32 3w who lived on Waldo St?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

24. David04Eagle

David04Eagle

Just discovered you have a Hupmobile, I am building a 28 4dr Sedan Hup. I have a LT1 engine with the automatic 4 sp OD trans. I put a 8.8 Ford rear end in it because I wanted the Disc brakes. The frt is a Mustang 2 by TCI with Disc also. I have it plumbed for AC/Heat, I wanted a driver. This is my 6th rod and the 3rd one I have built myself. Like you I am retired and have many hobbies,and am a Vet Nam vet . Just wanted to say hi to a fellow Hup owner.

dana barlow likes this.
  25. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

I feel fairly lucky i can still work on my own stuff. Still building or fixing for a few buddys now an then,but retired mostly for near 15years,now 73,just bluw up crankshaft in my Ford Y 292{nuts,just fategg n old like me,on my own old 28A hotrod,so will be trying to get some more parts hunted up an do it again. There is a restore of my old high school hotrod thread i add to when i can too.

26. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

Man I feel lucky. Just hit 70 and I spend everyday working on my 40 sedan build, caring for my other two hot rods, doing my own yard work in my wooded 2 acres, and house maintenance. I have no health issues that impact my ability to put in a full days work. I admire those of you who are battling health issues and are still hot rodding. I am lucky in that my parents both lived well into their 90's and my Dad was quite active until close to 90. I will be in the shop until I can't get there anymore.

27. FTF

FTF

IMG_0605.JPG 65 and retired but still kicking.