Register now to get rid of these ads!

Question for the Unilite experts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MeanGene427, Feb 14, 2012.

1. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

I have one I'm working on on a SBF, new owner got it as the PO left the key on and the coil (MSD Blaster 2) blew up, melted the starter solenoid (?) and he didn't know how to work on it and didn't want to pay someone else. Looks to be wired correctly by the Unilite directions, with a ballast resister- except the new owner replaced the Blaster with what seems to be the wrong coil, an internal resister unit, so that would be (theoretically) twice the necessary resistance, ballast resister + an internal resister coil? Makes sense to me, as it starts instantly and idles smoothly, but dogs out at anything above 2K, and if you push it more, backfires out the intake and exhaust at the same time (carb is clean, lines & filter all good, good gas flow). Sure seems to me like the internal resister coil would be the problem, and switching to either a normal coil or eliminating the ballast resistor should cure it? The new owner is an old farmer and wants me to put in a points dizzy as he can fix it and doesn't trust those newfangled eeeelectronics LOL, but I'd like to confirm the problem first. Any ideas?

2. Gene if the old owner fried the coil there is a good chance that he fried the control mod as well.

Yes you are on the correct track that it does not need double resistance, they don't like any resistor other than the mallory either. What makes me thing that the control mod is shot is that it craps out of the intake and the exhaust.

You may take a look at the rotor and see if it is cooked. Even if it just warped it is going to deal you a fit.

let me look a bit I think I can get you a link to how to trouble shoot the control mod.

Here ya go. The guy has really screwed his site up in the guise of better function. But I found it.

http://www.centuryperformance.com/mallory-unilite-and-e-spark-testing-spg-150.html

I'll get you a link to a more generalized area to look at other dizzy problems that may be efecting your performance from that distributer.

Back in a flash

http://www.centuryperformance.com/mallory-troubleshooting-by-product-spg-87.html

One other thing to think about is that the unilite is very picky as far as spark plug cables are concerned. After years of playing with them i have discovered that taylor Spiro pros work the best with them. I have even tried the mallory wires and they didn't work as well.

Hope this helps you out friend.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2012
  3. sounds like a bad coil and only one resistor is needed

4. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

I was already on Century's site, thanks :p
    So I have almost battery voltage on the + side of the coil, and less than 1V on the - side, so looks like the module is toast, correct? I have a points dizzy to stick in it, and it has fresh 8mm suppression wires, so that and a correct coil/resistor combo should cure it's hissy fits- find out soon enough. Thanks, gents :D