Register now to get rid of these ads!

Question for the rear end guys.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TMoney, Jul 7, 2013.

1. TMoney

TMoney

I just put an S-10 rear end in my 51 Ford sedan. I have a 302 with a C-4 and the rear end was the stock one before the swap. So the driveline is set up for the stock rear.

My question is: Is there a u-joint that would adapt the S-10 rear end to the driveline that is set up for the stock rear?

2. plywude

plywude
    Member Emeritus
    from manteca ca

TMoney, check with your parts store, I have purchased u joints with different size caps they may have what you need.

3. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

just have to tell them what driveshaft and what rearend. they can look it up from there.

4. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

Now that's a funny topic heading if I ever have seen one.. Sorry I just thought it was funny as shit

5. brooksinc1976

brooksinc1976
    from P-Town

Last resort I'd try Pyle bros in Baytown, tx. I've called for tech advice and they were helpfull. Around here they are gurus

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

6. whtbaron

whtbaron
    from manitoba

Yep...don't wanna get back doored on this thread!

7. FlynBrian

FlynBrian

NAPA has always had the U-joints in stock I needed, I just got one from them for a Chevy driveshaft to 8.8 Ford rear-end pinion flange. They should be able to get what you need.

8. Don't be surprised if you have to have a driveshaft built or replace it; the '49-56 Fords used a oddball rear u-joint and I was unable to find anything that would work when I did a 351W/FMX swap into the '56 sedan I owned at the time...

9. TMoney

TMoney

I think the oddball part is on the rear end side, not the driveline side of that u-joint. The cups that go in the driveline are similar to most.

10. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

11. ADReese

ADReese
    from spokane

Murl's driveshaft out by the napa main store is pretty sharp on conversion joints.

12. TMoney

TMoney

B.

13. SMOG_GUY

SMOG_GUY
    from Dinuba

My 1953 Ford Mainliner 6 cyl has a "mechanics" style U joint. They were commonly used in International trucks. It has a " tooth" on each cap. The diff yoke has a little recess for each "tooth".
    We IHC guys are used to this weirdness.

14. castirondude

castirondude

If the conversion joint doesn't work out, a driveshaft shop should be able to replace the yoke on your driveshaft so you can use a stock s-10 u-joint

Sent from my Verizon 4G LTE smartphone

15. TMoney

TMoney

There isn't a conversion u-joint. But I did take it to the driveline shop and he changed the yoke. Easy enough.

16. 48FordFanatic

48FordFanatic
    from Maine

I'm using an s-10 driveshaft on a Ford 8-inch. I was able to buy the universal joint for each then just swap the bearing cups. I ended up with a spare too.

17. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

I'd like to help but I'm more of a titty man.

18. I believe they are called bastard u joints,at least that's what the old timers use to call them. HRP

19. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Fortunately I have a fantastic driveline shop locally! Every time I do a rear axle, or engine swap they come up with the proper adapter U joints to make it work. And the best part is they sell them cheap, and install them!
    My last driveline swap cost me $43 for two adapter joints installed to put a TH400 style yoke on a TH350 style driveline, and then adapt the back from TH350 to Explorer flange U joint. Six States is great!