Register now to get rid of these ads!

Question for the painters

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oldschool66, Apr 28, 2011.

1. I'm getting ready to paint my roadster. I live in the sticks and have very limited choices for paint locally. I'd like to buy the paint where I can solve any issues if they should arise. So, that said, my question is that the choices I have are between Martin Seynour 2 stage base coat clear coat or PPG Delfleet single stage polyurethane enamel. Black. I'm not looking for a mile deep finish as I will be driving this alot, so I am leaning towards the single stage. I've painted cars in the past and never had any issues with single stage, but I don't know if the clear coat is a better choice. Of course the guy that sells PPG says the Martin Seynour is like water and vice versa. Anybody wanna chime in and give me some direction. I'm looking for opinions on the paint brands and on the single verses 2 stage. Thanks to anyone who can help

2. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

I would go with the single stage myself. Shoot, rub if you want and go. If your worried about birds crapping on it and staining the paint, BC CC it. I like the looks of the single stage urethane. JMO.

3. michaelthe9

michaelthe9

If you're going solid black and you live in the stix, I'd say stick with the polyurethane single stage. It is easy to paint and durable. If you drive on dirt roads and get gravel kicked up a lot, the polyurethane will be able to withstand quite a bit of abuse. I don't know about the Martin Seynour clear coat and the abuse capabilities but a single stage will be less work to apply and repair. You can still rub it out like you would a clear coat if you want a real smooth finish.
    My $0.02.
    Michael

4. Thanks lippy, and michaelthe9 that's the way I'm leaning.

5. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Single stage is the way to black always ,

6. I like what I'm hearing....... so far.

7. kroozn1

kroozn1

One of the problems with clear coating black is that clear scratches look white on dark colors.
    I single stage black when I can.

8. Master of None

Master of None

What ever you do make sure its in a well ventilated area. The delfleet has a very rank distinct smell. So does martin senior, just be careful and use a good respirator. On that note I too would use the PPG as well. Its a higher solids ( more color) paint than the Martian senior. It seems to buff up easier and to a better shine. But I'm kind of bias I use primarily PPG products in my shop.

9. smokey3550

smokey3550
    from texas

Single stage it. The single stage is the same polyurethane as the clear coat only with pigment added.

10. I did'nt know the single stage black urethane was the same as the clear urethane but it makes sense. Looks like single stage is the way to go. Thanks to all who responded. I'll post some pics when I get it done. Probably towards the end of May.