Register now to get rid of these ads!

Question for the painters....Sealer

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by j_johnson, Sep 14, 2010.

1. j_johnson

j_johnson
    from Iowa

So im blocking my 55 down right now, and im going to use sealer after im done blocking. Question is how long do I have to put my base colors down after i shoot the sealer? Its a 2k urethane sealer. I want to shoot the sealer friday night and get it in the booth saturday morning, maybe 8-10 hours in between the two. Would I be better off just shooting the sealer in the booth saturday morning, letting it dry a little then spray color? The label doesnt say anything for a recoat window, just says you can sand in 30 mins, but Im hoping it lays down good to where it wont need scuffed or sanded.

2. Caddy-O

Caddy-O

I'm not a pro but I usually spray the sealer, wait about 30 minutes, and then spray the paint. Works every time.

3. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Touchy subject. What brand of sealer? Some have a recoat window, some don't. The down side of sealing then going to base is that the sealer doesn't seal as well. Sealer should slow down solvent penetration of the top coats to reduce sand scratch swelling, exposing body fillers, etc. You need a tech sheet for just that reason. I like to seal with PPG Shopline epoxy primer, reduced. It has a 72hr window for recoat time and truely does work as a sealer's designed to. You might want to invest the time to lightly sand what you seal with in any case or the texture (spray pattern/orange peel) will haunt the finish long after the cut and buff.

4. Follow the data sheets for your products; they'll give specific recommendations on times/procedures. Look 'em up on the manufacturer's website or have whomever sold you the primer/paint photocopy them for you.

5. oldsroller

oldsroller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from PA

Most have an 8 hour window. Check your tech sheet. Some are primer/sealers in your cheaper lines and will have to be sanded or your paint will appear to be orange peel. Sherwin-Williams make a couple sealers that require about a 30 min cure than go to your topcoat.

6. if you are spraying the sealer friday night and then spraying the topcoat on saturday you should not have any problems. but like chicken said "follow the data sheets....." never going to go wrong there.