Register now to get rid of these ads!

Question for the paint experts .....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by greasemunkee, May 3, 2011.

1. greasemunkee

greasemunkee
    from San Diego

Want to know if anyone has, knows, or can get their hands on the paint code for Mowog Green used on the old Mini Coopers and Austin Healy engines. I need the code that tells a paint supply place how to mix this color. I want to use this color on the chassis of my '29 Roadster, but can't find anyone that has it by name and I don't know where I can find the paint code. The picture shows the color I'm looking for. Thanks for the help.

Attached Files:

2. greasemunkee

greasemunkee
    from San Diego

Thought I would try again.

3. KrisKustomPaint

KrisKustomPaint

4. KrisKustomPaint

KrisKustomPaint

Where are you talking about when you say "paint supply place"?

5. In some of the bigger towns you don't buy your paint at the autoparts or mix your own you go to an automotive paint supplier. You can get mud, masking supplies etc for painting someone's car.

6. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

Find something painted the color you want that is unfaded, in decent condition, and clean. Take that sample to a good "paint place" They can mix whatever color you want. That was traditionally done by someone with the eye/skill to match colors. Many places now have electronic scanners that do it. And, you can have it mixed in whatever kind(acrylic or urethane/enamel/lacquer/etc) of paint you want.

7. KrisKustomPaint

KrisKustomPaint

Hahaha, I was just wondering if he was going to a Sherwin Williams store, or a Auto Paint supply company or what. You might have trouble getting a formula with that code from most companies, depending on what line you are wanting. If you wanted BC/CC you're probably going to have to go Spies Hecker, or Dupont. If your Ok with Lacquer PPG still offers their lacquer line.

good paint place that will most likely not do a very good color match. They just don't take the time. Color eyes aren't worth a damn. Tried a bunch of them on cars with known paint codes. They were wrong 90% of the time. I haven't had a chance to use Spies' new one probably better than most but far from perfect.

There is no need for any of that anyway if you know the paint code the problem is its a 50 year old brittish code. Find a body shop that uses Spies Hecker, They can search older formulas on the web site, and the color match is top notch.

8. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

I have had lots of different strange colors matched. Maybe I don't realize how lucky I have been, but my experience has been good. A GOOD paint store usually has someone who can do it. If they don't they will tell you. That's why I said good Instead of any.

Last edited: May 8, 2011
  9. I don't know what brand of "paint camera" my supplier uses but it is very accurate, I have had very good luck with blending on outer body repair. Besides if you are painting all of the engine pieces no one will notice a half a shade difference.
    Bill

10. greasemunkee

greasemunkee
    from San Diego

Kris, thanks for the input. Here in San Diego (should say San Diego Area) there are a couple of automotive paint suppliers that have the Dupont available among others, and will readily mix if you have the color code. I've asked around for a while for Mowog green and Healy engine green and most places just look at me crooked, so figured I'd put it on here and see if I could luck out with a color code. I've taken the picture above to places and no one could match off the picture, and I don't know anyone that drives one of those brit cars to take the parts off of, not that they would let me, ha ha ha. Once again, thanks!

11. I'm still good with laquer. :D

I didn't think you didn't know but you did ask. :D;)

I wonder if PPG could match some laquer that I have for my current project. I only have 5 pints and I am afraid that I'll have to two tone the car.

Last edited: May 10, 2011
  12. greasemunkee

greasemunkee
    from San Diego

Also would like to ask what would be the best stuff to use to fill the small pits in my old Model A Chassis. I've heard metal fill, but a buddy of mine that specializes in body work assures me that nylon filler will work just as well. Also, living in California, some fillers are not availabe due to "environmental reasons." I'm not boxing the frame since I'm using the '32 style K member in mine, but the flex of the chassis has me worried about eventual chipping and cracking. Any thoughts? Suggestions?

13. KrisKustomPaint

KrisKustomPaint

I'd use a glazing putty of some sort. Not sure what California's laws dictate you use, but I'd ask around for glazing putty. Evercoat Metal Glaze, is what I use.

14. BigChief

BigChief

Moss Motors has it.

http://www.mossmotors.com/Shop/SearchResults.aspx?SearchText=Engine Paint&WebCatalogID=0

Call to make sure you're getting the right shade. Find out if they can get you quarts instead of spray bombs. If not then buy a can and spray a test panel and take that to the paint store and have it shot for a formula....you'll have better luck that shooting a picture.

Here's more info and places you can call.

http://mk1-performance-conversions.co.uk/technical_body.htm

http://www.stationaryengineparts.com/BMC-MOWOG-Green.html

-Bigchief.

Last edited: May 10, 2011