Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Question for the old custom guys

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lippy, May 24, 2016.

1. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Okay, Lets assume it's the 50's or 60's and I have a custom 55 Ford pickup and I want to lower the front but keep the original front end. Other than smaller front tires , how would I drop it a bit and how much could I drop it? Thanks Lippy

2. CowboyTed

CowboyTed

If you want to keep the straight axle, your options are a bit limited. You could de-arch your springs, or just remove one or more, but you will need to notch the frame rail to provide for suspension travel. It doesn't take much lowering before your axle will hit the bottom of the rails. A creative rodder in the fifties might have built themselves a custom dropped axle, which would be the best option to retain full suspension travel but drop the front end substantially.

3. Drop the axle...fill it...and chrome it

4. De-arched springs, dropped axle, heated springs, remove some leaves, axle over the springs all were done. Some with better results than others.

Drop axle or de-arched springs would be my first go to solutions, axle over the springs would be next. I have done all of these with good success. Axle over the spring is pretty dramatic, yields about the thickness of the spring and aside from heating the springs is probably the cheapest. De-arched springs sometimes suffer in ride quality, but can also be economical if you can de-arch them yourself..

heated springs while everyone is going to say nay nay got done a lot, seldom works for the long run.

5. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

Have your axle dropped, or replace yours with one of the available drop axles for the F1. Ansen, Nostalgia Sid, 296V8, and Okie Joe's Speed Shops all come to mind.

6. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

7. LAROKE

LAROKE

This is a four inch dropped axle on my truck from Nostalgia Sid's. It is a '55 Chevy 1st Series but he does Fords also. I am probably going for two inches of additional drop with new springs from Eaton. I am currently mocking up my rear tires before deciding. The goal is a forward rake and a leveled out engine.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Thanks for the responses. Had some bad weather here so took me awhile to get in the house from the shop. Hail ect... I want to build a period correct custom ford pickup. I would like to use period correct parts for the late 50's 60's. I was born in 55 so I needed the input from some OLDER fellas LOL. No offense. lol. I am pretty mechanically inclined but I thought there would be an accepted way they use to do it. Many of you told me what I believed to be right. I don't want it super low like they do now. I would like to put an Olds in it probably a 324. and a hydro. Cause there aren't too many bigger olds eng around here. No caddy's here that I know of. I will build it, you all give me input. Lippy

9. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Watch it Beaner I don't need weird shit sticking out the dash. lol

10. grifcarnut

grifcarnut
    from Tucson Az

on my last 53, I removed the rear spring hanger and built one that moved the rear spring eye as close as possible to the frame. I then removed the two shortest leafs to soften the ride. I also installed disk brakes and used 14" wheels to help lower the front. A set of home made lowering blocks lowered the rear (trial and error method) and away I went!

11. OneWrench

OneWrench

Dude crazy blower setup
    Looks awesome

Dropped Axel is the way to go, when I get around to my pickup I'll get one from Sids.