Register now to get rid of these ads!

Question for the GM experts....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by greasemunkee, Jul 28, 2011.

1. greasemunkee

greasemunkee
    from San Diego

This may be a little OT, but this is the best place I know for answers. I'm putting together a nice little parts hauler and need some seats. I would like to know if the bucket seats off a '67 Pontiac Firebird will properly fit in my '64 El Camino. I know a lot of the seats made from '64-'67 are really close, but need to know before I dish out the $200 for them. I also learned the hard way that Impala seats are too big.

2. You can mount most any seats with just some flat bar to relocate the holes. I would say go for it if those are the seats you want. I have 3 68 Firebirds and like the seats.

3. Novadude55

Novadude55
    from CA

Only way to know for sure is to measure them to know if they will fit between the doors, and also measure the mounting feet width pattern,, and like TheRabidWhippet said, you can make your own mounts,,,

4. rpol7966

rpol7966

I'm sure you can make the Firebird seats work in your El Camino, but you will have to fabricate your mounts.
    All GM "A-Body" cars which includes El Caminos from '64 to '72 shared the same basic floor pans. "64-'65 models used the same style bucket seats. The style changed in '66 and carried over through '72.
    All bucket seat cars required aditional brackets to attach the seat to the floor pan.
    The Camaro/Firebird seats were an entirely different design, so I'm sure you will have to alter the seat tracks or make special brackets to mate them to your truck. DON'T just drill holes and mount the seats to the floor. Be sure to reinforce the floor pan where the seats mount.

5. greasemunkee

greasemunkee
    from San Diego

As far as the flat bar is concerned, would I just put it under the floor pan to reinforce it and just basically sandwich the floor pan between the flat bar and the seat rails? Also, would I go front to back or right to left with the flat bar? Is there a difference? on the seats, other than the trim on the side, how different are the seats? I've done some looking and the El Camino seats for sale (repops) are the same from 64-67 with just different foam and trim installed. Are the frames of the Camaro/FIrebird seats the difference?