Register now to get rid of these ads!

question for the flathead guru's

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jake//NC\\Mi, Feb 26, 2005.

1. jake//NC\\Mi

jake//NC\\Mi
    from michigan

I started putting my engine back together today. I have a gasket kit from fel-pro. All of the holes line up great execpt for the upper left corner where the thermostat housing goes. The hole on the gasket is much smaller than the hole in the head and the block. Is this right? Or should I make the hole bigger. It seems that it would restrict the water flow. I've attached a couple of pics. What do you think?

Attached Files:

2. Oilcan Harry

Oilcan Harry
    from INDY

The gasket is designed to regulate the coolant flow. The small hole is what the factory designed. Leave it alone. If you open the hole up more water gets into the front of the head but less to the rear. of the head. You don't want that.

3. jake//NC\\Mi

jake//NC\\Mi
    from michigan

That's what I was thinking. It keeps the coolant in the radiator longer right?
    Thanks for the help!

4. av8jon

av8jon

No. it just directs more to the rear of the head quicker.

5. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

35 teapot heads.... Ford changed those after 35, i believe...
    They called them Teapots for a reason. There wasn't good enough flow to keep everyone happy. I'd put on a set of Skip Haneys pumps if I were you. PJ

6. av8jon

av8jon

Man, your talkin wrong decade and wrong block!!

7. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Yes, sir my mistake. Duh... thats a later model head. Thats what i get for passing through these posts too fast. Sorry for the misinformation. :eek: PJ