Register now to get rid of these ads!

Question for the FE guru's

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chris55, Mar 6, 2010.

1. chris55

chris55

My wife's 56 thunderbird has a 66 390 in it. When we got it, the owner said he wasn't sure of the mileage on the motor.(but I know shes a little tired) At the end of last season, it developed a tick on the right bank,(pass. side) #4 cyl. The tick seems to be worse at start up, but can still be heard a when warm. I pulled the valve cover, and found no oil coming from the last two rockers, or the exhaust rocker on the #2 cyl. The other rockers, only had a small amount of oil coming from them.(it is enough to cover the push rod cup, and run down onto the shaft.) I pulled the rocker shafts, and cleaned the out. After reasemble, I got about the same amount of oil out of the ones that had had no at first. I pulled the drivers side, and all rockers seem to be getting about the same amount as the pass. side. The oil does not spray out of the rockers, like on a Chevy, it just kind of trickles.

So finally to my question.
    1 Is this enough oil flow?

2 If not, what needs to be done?

3 Should I pull it apart, and clean the oil passages?

4 Should I try a new pump?

I just need it to run, a bit longer. The 312 is at the machine shop, and will be going back in sometime this summer.

Thanks all,
    Chris

Last edited: Mar 6, 2010
  2. I'm not a FE (Winsor maybe) guru but it might be collapsed lifters.

3. FEs do just kinda dribble oil from the rockers but it should be a good amount. The shafts will wear on the underside and if it is enough and the rocker is worn too the lifter will not be able to take up the slack. You can get longer push rods to make a temp fix but the rocker assemblies should be rebuilt if there is too much wear. you can get reman. assemblies pretty cheep. ;)

When putting your Y back together the oiling to the top is very critical, I like to pressurize the rocker shafts, make sure you have the cam bearings in correctly and a grooved center man always helps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7ZjObWyRJU

4. I would run some Marvel Mystery Oil in it for a week. Add a pint to the oil and drive it normal. It may just be a tad gummed up.

Have you had an oil pressure gage on it? Tired motors run very low pressure at idle, I've seen them down to 10-15 psi, but still ran ok. If it puts out 30 psi for everyday crusing around, it'll last a while.

Bob

5. Deuces

Deuces

Check the oil pressure!! If it is low, ya need to change the oil pump... A new oil filter is a must also!!