Register now to get rid of these ads!

Question for the Bonneville racers.....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by greybeard360, Aug 29, 2013.

1. greybeard360

greybeard360

How do you get all the salt cleaned out of every nook and cranny when you get home so the car won't corrode itself to death ???

Just something I have always wondered about... :)

2. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Take the entire thing apart and wash everything... every nut and bolt.

3. larry k

larry k

spray everything and i mean everything with pam cooking spray before you hit the salt ! ;) !

4. firingorder1

firingorder1

The usual trick is to put a lawn sprinkler under your truck (or car) and leave it run all day. Moving it every hour or so. Then get under it with the hose and wash off all the salt the sprinkler missed. When that is done go into the house and have a beer. Then walk back out and I'll guarantee you'll find a fist sized ball of salt lying under your truck. Its a rule. You don't get all the salt.

5. 117harv

117harv

6. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

And/or salt-away.

7. badshifter

badshifter

You don't. You get some, most, but NEVER all. Something always corrodes.

8. hudsonjoe49

hudsonjoe49

Hot water, steam clean chassis

9. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

We don't, my 40 pickup that only did a one year duty back in 05 I think shows signs of corrision, our 50 ute that has been there 3 times can no longer go,,, the 90 Burb went to the recyclers, that was three years, the 95 duelly is the new sacrifical vehicle,,, but still hot rods are soooo much fun to have at Speed Week, the price of Kool.

10. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I used my 77 Ford pickup until I got my 92 Dodge pickup. Bought them both new. Sold the 77 for $2000 in 93 and it was a good looking truck. My Dodge is loosing it's paint, but that seems normal for them. I used to go 2 or three times a year. Sometimes really wet and sticky. Sometimes not. I get under them and wash them. I don't use Pam or any some such. So they look fine. Until you put a wrench on one of them. It's not called "Wendover Loctight" for nothing.

11. greybeard360

greybeard360

Kind of what I figured.... like working on a 2 year old car from Michigan then. :)

I know how to use the search function, but sometimes I wonder which way to go, just ask a question and get ripped for not using the search function for stuff that has been posted before, or use the search function and resurect an old thread and catch all of the "newb opening old threads back up" complaint.

12. mtkawboy

mtkawboy

Ive spent 3-4 hours under my truck first cleaning then same thing with Salt Away. Absolutely spotless. Come out there 3 months later and theres a pile of salt there. It destroyed my last pickups bed but only on the drivers side, never did figure that out. Its Ok, its worth every bit of it.