Register now to get rid of these ads!

Question for SBF gurus

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by born2late, Jan 24, 2005.

1. born2late

born2late

Until what year did Ford use a 28 oz imbalance flywheel for the 302. I have a flywheel of unknown age and would like to put it behind my 289. I THINK it is early 70's but not sure. Is there any way to visually tell the difference between a 50 oz and a 28 oz imbalance flywheel? If I go with a new flywheel, any particular brand/supplier you all like?

2. I think they ran them until the 5.0 came into existence: around 79 or so. Fluidamper seems to be a good product for new ones.

3. born2late

born2late

Thanks. Anyone else want to weigh in on this?

4. Fat Hack

Fat Hack
    from Detroit

Yep...'bout midway through the 79 model year I think it was.

(I found out the hard way when I swapped a 76 302 into an 82 car...went crazy trying to solve the nasty miss that made the car shake so bad...turns out...it wasn't a miss...it was shaking itself apart! OOOPS! Shoulda used a pre 79 flexplate!)

5. Meteor Man

Meteor Man

Is there any part numbers on the flywheel?

6. Henry Floored

Henry Floored

</****font****><****blockquote****><****font**** ****class****="****small****">****Quote****:</****font****><****hr**** /><****br**** />****Is**** ****there**** ****any**** ****part**** ****numbers**** ****on**** ****the**** ****flywheel****? <****br**** /><****br**** /><****hr**** /></****blockquote****><****font**** ****class****="****post****">
    <****br**** />
    <****br**** /> ****Yup****, ****check**** ****the**** ****dampner**** ****and**** ****flywheel**** ****for**** ****their**** ****casting**** ****numbers**** ****and**** ****post**** ****them**** ****up**** ****here****. ****I**** ****should**** ****be**** ****able**** ****to**** ****tell**** ****ya**** ****if**** ****they**** ****all**** ****match****. ****The**** ****302****'****s**** ****amount**** ****of**** ****external**** ****balance**** ****went**** ****from**** ****28****.****2**** ****oz**** ****to**** ****50**** ****oz**** ****in**** ****1981****. ****If**** ****you**** ****had**** ****an**** ****example**** ****of**** ****a**** ****28****.****2**** ****and**** ****50**** ****oz**** ****dampner**** ****and**** ****flywheel**** ****sitting**** ****next**** ****to**** ****each**** ****other**** ****you**** ****could**** ****easily**** ****tell**** ****the**** ****difference**** ****because**** ****the**** ****size**** ****of**** ****the**** ****cast**** ****in**** ****counterweight**** ****area**** ****is**** ****roughly**** ****double**** ****on**** ****the**** ****50**** ****oz**** ****stuff****. ****FYI**** ****if**** ****you**** ****ever**** ****get**** ****stuck****, ****Ford****'****s**** ****performance**** ****parts**** ****division**** ****called**** ****Ford**** ****Racing**** ****Performance**** ****Parts**** ****has**** ****finally**** ****addressed**** ****this**** ****situation**** ****and**** ****started**** ****carrying**** ****flywheels**** ****and**** ****flexplates**** ****to**** ****fit**** ****these**** ****applications**** ****and**** ****are**** ****listed**** ****in**** ****simple**** ****charts**** ****in**** ****their**** ****parts**** ****catalog****. ****Their**** "****tech****" ****hotline**** ****is**** (****586****)****468****-****1356****. ****Again**** ****post**** ****up**** ****the**** #'****s**** ****and**** ****the**** ****year**** ****of**** ****your**** ****engine**** ****and**** ****I**** ****think**** ****I**** ****can**** ****help**** ****ya****.

7. LongGone

LongGone
    BANNED

"Ford Racing Catalog" lists 28.2 oz as pre 1981 302 and 351 and (double-checking) 50.0 oz. as 1981 and later 302 (not 351!?!)

Mike

8. Henry Floored

Henry Floored

[ QUOTE ]
    "Ford Racing Catalog" lists 28.2 oz as pre 1981 302 and 351 and (double-checking) 50.0 oz. as 1981 and later 302 (not 351!?!)

Yes LongGone thanks for correcting me the year of change is 1981. I should have stated it differently, I'm in a hurry to get out the door and I screwed up. Also yes the 351W NEVER changed it stayed 28.2 for it's entire production life. I just tried to correct my post and it appears to have blown up.

9. Just in case it ever happens to someone, manual transmissions behind 250 6's in Granada's were not the same as manual transmissions behind 250 6's in Mavericks.

It could be just the year difference in the application, but I had a '76 Granada 250/3sp used an earlier Maverick flywheel, and it bent the crankshaft.