Register now to get rid of these ads!

Question for nailhead guys about shifters

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JimSig, Aug 27, 2010.

1. Shifters for SP400's are hard to find. Could you use an aftermarket Turbo Hydro shifter on a '64 SP400? If not, anybody know what shifters would work? I don't need a ratchet shifter, just one for the street in a hot rod.
    Thanks.

2. The '64 TH400/ST400 is a one-year design, and I don't know of any aftermarket shifters that were designed specifically for the 'box.

Your options would be to use a factory floor shifter from '64 (like what's in my 'Cat), any two-speed factory floor shift or perhaps an aftermarket Powerglide unit (the late 'Glide's quadrants are the same).

GM used the Turbo 300 (two speed) in a number of intermediate models during the '60s and there may be something that looks right for you. Adapting it to suit your tranny should be pretty easy. Hope that helps.

3. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

I have a 65 SP400 in my 50 chevy and unless i'm missing something, the shifting mechanism is just like any other TH400. If I'm wrong please correct me. Maybe a 64 is different.

4. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

I used a standard Lokar TH400 shifter on my '64 ST400 for years.

5. P-R-N-D-2-L is P-R-N-D-2-L, so far as I know, most of your GM transmissions the actual click into gear is an internal trans thing, so I don't know why any shifter wouldn't work as long as it moves far enough to reach all the gears.