Register now to get rid of these ads!

Question for flathead builders.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by str8 6 str8 edge, Jan 28, 2011.

1. str8 6 str8 edge

str8 6 str8 edge
    from Tampa

I'm putting together an 8ba (not far from stock) . The rod cap nuts I have come with the PAL, stamped out , nut locks. What is the proper installation of these? Is there a torque spec? Are they set by feel? Are they junk? I've heard they are stock but can't find info on them. Any help would be much appreciated.

2. jessman49

jessman49
    from ohio

I used ARP nuts on my 276 8BA motor. I did not use the pals. I lubed the threads and bottom of the nuts with STP motor treadment. After I torqued the nuts to stock specs, then I put a few drops of medium thread locker on the top.

Jessman 49
    49 Ford

3. rotorwrench

rotorwrench

The pal nuts are made from some pretty thin stuff but they are effective as a lock. My 49 to 51 Lincoln Mercury O/H Manual lists the torque at 3 to 4 ft/lbs which would be 36 to 48 in/lbs. That is a similar torque to a 10-32 screw. Basically snug and very slightly more. You'll know if you went to much when it strips the thread or cracks. They are installed with the flat part of the head toward the nut and the flanges out.

Not too many manufacturers still use them but a few do. I work on helicopters for a living and the little Robinson helicopters use a lot of them. They are still available new from aircraft parts sources.

Kerby

4. str8 6 str8 edge

str8 6 str8 edge
    from Tampa

Awesome answer. Thank you. Exactly the info I was after.