Register now to get rid of these ads!

Question for a member Downunder

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 53Hattie, Aug 11, 2011.

1. 53Hattie

53Hattie

Recently I was looking at a thread picturing the dash in a Aussie-built '53-'54 Chevy, & though I've searched I haven't been able to relocate the thread, as I can't recollect the topic.

It was interesting to note that the instrument cluster, although on the right, was mounted speedo to the left and gauges to the right [as per U.S. spec configuration] rather than flipped. But what I was left curious about, as the passenger end of the dash wasn't visible in the photo, is whether the OZ-built cars had the chrome piece that fills the void between the glovebox lid and the door jamb?

My question, if in fact the item exists, how difficult might it be to locate said item at an autojumble [unless one of you just happens to have a spare laying about], and might one of you gents be willing to keep a lookout for one?

2. kiwiandy

kiwiandy

Have you got a pic of the part you are after? I don't know these cars well but know where there is one a few hours from here sitting on a farm. If you have a pic I can probably get a mate down that way to check it out.
    Andy.

3. 53Hattie

53Hattie

Andy, Thanks for your reply. I haven't got a photo, and I'm not much good a that procedure, ...but I did find a thread here on site that has a good pic' of the part I'm referring to, entitled "53 Belair 37k miles daily driver barn find" [search in the classifieds/for sale]. Check the 6th photo down in that thread, it's the chrome piece on the right end of the glove box. Of course it would be on the other end of the dash in an OZ model [a mirror image of it]. I believe only the Bel Air models had them, not the 210s or 150s. Also, it's common to both '53s & '54s so far as I know. Don't send your Pal on a wild goose chase, it's not worth a ton of his time...

Last edited: Aug 12, 2011
  4. craigart

craigart

I have a factory RHD 54 4 door sedan and it does not have the glovebox or door jam chrome trim, I believe most rhd 53's and 54's in NZ were built in Canada. All the ones I have seen have had Canadian tags on them anyway. I cant say I have seen a factory right hand drive 210 or hardtop 53/54 , they are probably pretty rare, most are 150's with 210/belair trim added.

5. 53Hattie

53Hattie

Hi Craig, Interesting that they were shipped from Canada, wouldn't have figured that, I guess I thought Australia was still in the Chevy business post war for a spell. Yeah, the glove box lid would be a universal fit since it's essentially not side-specific, but the end trim would be unique to RHD units, if it does exist. I was just thinking it would be cool to have one since I'm thinking I'll two-tone my dash both above and below, rather than just below like the stock paint, and having a chrome piece at both ends would kinda tie it together.

6. kiwiandy

kiwiandy

I last night contacted a mate who veiwed the car with me. Sorry for putting you crook but its a 51 car so probably a bit early. Cheers.
    Andy.