Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Question for 28/29 Fenderless Roadster Owners

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by jmiller1918, May 24, 2014.

1. Okay, I'm working on my first fenderless hot rod- a 1929 Ford roadster. It actually wasn't fenderless until today- this morning all four fenders were in place.

Taking off the fenders was no big deal, and the car already almost looks like a 1940's hot rod! (Even 'tho I have a ton of other stuff planned). Here's my question: what do you guys do with the running board braces (the supports the running board sits on and bolts to)? I think they're riveted to the frame.

I have a feeling most have drilled out the rivets. Some may have cut them off with a torch...Do I have to raise the body to get them off? I'm also going to be removing the splash aprons; due to space and other restrictions I was hoping to leave the body on the frame, but these damn runningboard braces *have* to come off, one way or another. And for that matter the splash aprons need to come off, so I guess I am going to be unbolting the body and raising it. Can you do this one side at a time?

Thanks for any help you can offer on this topic!

2. I ground the heads of the rivets off, and used a punch to pop the rest of the rivets out. The splash aprons are mounted through the body bolts. If you remove the body one side at a time, you may have problems with your doors staying closed, due to misalignment.

3. elmitcheristo

elmitcheristo

The body doesn't have to come up very much at all to slip out the splash aprons. I usually do them one side at a time. As for the rivets, I don't know of any way to get them out that doesn't involve grinding, drilling, beating and cussing. If the running board brackets are nice, it's worth the time to be careful removing them. It can be difficult to locate nice originals.

Hope that helps,
    Mitch

4. OFT

OFT

X2
    Not hard, just time consuming. If brackets are good-for sure take care in taking rivets out. I find drilling a small "guide" hole helps before stepping up drill size to take head of rivet off.

5. modelAsteve

modelAsteve

If you look at early pictures of cars running on the lakes many of them still had the splash aprons on; but, no fenders. Not a bad look!

6. Thanks gentlemen, all of your replies were helpful. One thing I wonder about, incidentally, is the stories I often hear that guys used to drive their roadsters to the dry lakes, strip off the fenders, race; then put everything back on for the drive home. Those running board braces aren't a take off and put back on proposition like the fenders are.

7. I would assume most guys had removed the rivets back then and just mounted the brackets with bolts. On my roadster someone cut the rivet heads off and removed the brackets. I just drilled what was left of the rivets out incase I ever wanted to run full fenders someday and bolt the brackets on. It's not too hard to do, but it would definitely be easier if you removed the splash aprons first.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!