Register now to get rid of these ads!

Question- Exhaust Pipe Close to Gas Tank

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fordstandard, Mar 15, 2011.

1. I'm doing my exhaust on 1950 ford

* I've seen pics of guys running driver side pipe VERY Close to Gas Tank.

1)Is this safe?
    2) Any other routing options

2. bryan6902

bryan6902

I wouldn't worry about it unless it actually touches or your tank leaks. On new cars it runs very close on some as well. Remember that liquid gasoline will not ignite, only the vapors. So by running it a little close to your tank doesn't mean its going to explode into a CHiPs style fire bomb. Also take a look where it ran from the factory.

3. Docco

Docco
    from Ippy

1. No problems at all, my 56' Ford the exhaust sits half an inch away from the side with no dramas.
    2. Lakes pipes.

4. The hottest part of the exhaust system is the muffler, from there back it isn't so bad. I have a "plastic" fuel cell and the exhaust is close also. No problems.

5. Hurley50

Hurley50
    from NC

Most questions I have I can find the answers on the HAMB... need to run my exhaust real close to my tank.

6. fsae0607

fsae0607

Should be okay. If you're really worried, maybe fab a sheet metal heat shield that attaches to the pipe (think of the shields on cats).