Register now to get rid of these ads!

question about "Watson style" paint job

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by KandN Kustoms, Jun 29, 2011.

1. KandN Kustoms

KandN Kustoms

OK, maybe a little background is in order.
    I'm about half way through stripping and doing bodywork on my 59 Galaxie for paint and been going back and forth on the style of paint I'm gunna use.
    I REALLY got my heart set on a Watson style, but with Three different colors. (silver w/ flake, green candy, and black)
    My question is, which order should I put the paint on? should it go lighter (silver), then medium (cany green), and finally dark (black)?
    And lets just say there's going to equal amounts of each color.
    This is the way I was thinking but not quite sure.
    Seems everytime I think I got it figured out I see something that someone has done the other way.
    Thanks for all the help in advance.
    Later,
    Ken

2. KandN Kustoms

KandN Kustoms

Maybe I need to carify my question a littlebit?

When doing A multi-color Watson styled Paneled paint job, which color do you spray the entire car with first?

Should it be the lighter color, and then lay out the panels?

OR

Should I spray the darkest color first, THEN lay out the panels over that?

Thanks againg guys and gals.
    Later,
    Ken

3. Reman

Reman
    from Florida

I am probably lost in the dark ages but.....what is a Watson style paint job?

4. Rikster

Rikster

Living under a rock... very BIG one!
    There is a search button on this site... I suggest using it.

5. ol'stinky

ol'stinky
    from New Jersey

whats the majority for the car going to be? if its mostly silver start light to dark. if you start out dark you'll probably have coverage issues and use so much material that you are going to get real hard edges and youll need to shit ton more clear to level everything out.

6. Rikster

Rikster

Silver first, and you can use it as under-base for the Candy Green... unless you don't want that to have the flake in it.
    Followed by the Candy green, and on top of that the black.

If you dont want the flake underneath the Candy green, but a more subtile pearl or metallic. Then I suggest painting the entire car with that under-base. tape off the panels, spray the flake silver. followed by the green, then black.

This is how larry did it. His 59 Caddy and 58 T-Bird where painted pearl white and platinum pearl completely first, then the candy red and wine where added.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

I'm not trying to give you a hard time here, but if you are not aware of Larry Watson's contribution to the Rod and Kustom scene you really are missing out big time. Take Rik's advice, do some searching on here, you'll be amazed.
    Paul

8. KandN Kustoms

KandN Kustoms

Hey, thanks guys.

Took A while but I knew you guys would come through... eventually:D

I thought that was the way to do it, but I have this problem with over-thinking everything.:cool:

Later,
    Ken

9. [​IMG]
    Here is mine in Watson-esque finery. It's on the big photoshop thread and was done by JamesD (thanks JD)

10. Blades

Blades
    from Chicago

Oh brother... Why not just answer his question with out snobbery?

11. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

Because there is a search function on here that will bring up hundreds of Larry Watson paint jobs, and as they say, a picture paints 1000 words. It's not a case of snobbery, I just can't imagine trying to describe a Larry Watson paint job to a person in words.
    Paul

12. larry woods

larry woods
    from venice fl

as my cuz "Tiger" aptly put it "...paralysis by analysis..." sometimes we do just over think it!!!!

13. Reman

Reman
    from Florida

Thank You Paul......for the courteous reply to my question. And to you Blades.

14. billsat

billsat

Whats up with the guys from across the pond getting their knickers in a twist because somebody asks what a Watson paint job is? Folks can steer someone to the "search" without being a jerk here in the US of A. Give it a try, you'll feel better.

15. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

You're more than welcome.

I thought that's what I did, and as you can see by the quote above, so did Reman. My knickers remain fully untwisted.
    Paul

16. You guys still wear knickers?:D

17. billsat

billsat

Forgive me Paul if I came across as too much of a wise guy.No offense was meant. Your comment didn't come across like the guy from the Netherlands did, and I should have just stayed out of it. I do think some guys are afraid to ask questions on the HAMB because they see other posters get flamed when they ask a question that more experienced hot rodders see as common knowledge. Enough said.

18. Rikster

Rikster

Usually I don't do comments like I did.... because I'm always glad to help where ever I can hence my explaining post with photos toward the original question poster. But sometimes I'm just amazed by the ignorance of some people.

This poster in question had 117 Hamb post. So you can assume he has been on here for some time.
    I have been posting a lot of Larry Watson stuff over the years, including a post about the Larry Watson Personal photo archive which I add new stuff to every two or so days.
    Besides that there are an incredible amount of Hamb posts concerning the Larry Watson Paint styles to be found.
    So its very hard for me to believe that if you have any interest in Hot Rods and Custom Cars, and are a "regular" poster here on the HAMB that you have never heard about a Larry Watson Paint job... especially for a person from the US! that should know at least a bit about his own Custom Car culture. And Larry Watson has been a Huge part of that!.
    Hence my statement of living under a rock...

My apologies is I offended you... or anybody else!

19. metalshapes

metalshapes

Location of the guys that posted has nothing to do with it.

For example, a guy like Rikster who has immersed himself completely in the history of Customs.

From his point of view, its probably hard to believe anybody here would not know who Watson was.

Specially since Watson died not to long ago and a lot was posted about him.

If his and Kripfink's post were out of line ( I'm not even sure they were) , then yours wasn't any better.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2011
  20. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

yes, my wife's when she's not around!

Holy crap……… Did I just say that out loud?

Last edited: Jul 3, 2011
  21. toucan

toucan
    from sc

i agree the silver first , green candy second , and black last.you can do the silver with microflake and you will have to use less clear.