Register now to get rid of these ads!

Question about VHT header paint

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 29 sedanman, Feb 1, 2006.

1. 29 sedanman

29 sedanman
    from Indy

I am going to paint my headers and exhaust with the VHT header paint. They are exposed lakester headers. I was sold on the satin black but have began wondering about the silver paint they have. I have seen some silvers that when sprayed they look awfull. Does anyone have any experience with the silver VHT header paint? I dont want it to look like Kentucky Chrome, and having them coated is out of the budget for now. Thanks, Tracy

2. Hellfish

Hellfish

i used VHT on my headers and it burned off right away. I used POR15 high temp paint on my manifolds and it has held up really well

3. jalopy43

jalopy43
    Member Emeritus

Believe it or not, I have used plain rustoleum aluminum enamel. Rams horns,or tubing headers. The stuff works just as well as the por15 stuff. It stays bright also. Best kept secret at our shop.Sparky:D

4. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

The flat silver looks ok, but VHT also sells a silver hi-temp that looks like chrome in a can that is quite gaudy.

5. VHT flameproof coatingworks well, but neads the metal to be totaly clean. I did a AMC 256 header for a friend a couple years back and it came out ok. Before I painted the header I sand blasted it to remove all surface rust and oil. I think the key to my success was heat curing with a torpedo heater after it dryed. The instructions on the can talk about using a oven to cure the paint at 300 or 400 degrees ( I dont remember exactly how hot), but since I dont have an oven I hung the header on my engine hoist and set the heater about three feet away for an hour.
    P.S. I used the leftover paint on my driveshaftwithout curing of any kind. To this day if I handle it my hands turn silver.

6. Flatman

Flatman

We use the silver stuff at work. It stays REALLY BRIGHT!! Holds up to heat on a Detroit Diesel Silver 92.

Flatman

7. a/fxcomet

a/fxcomet
    from Eugene, OR

The VHT on the headers in my comet usually stays looking good for about a year. Then I get a few rust streaks. I only use the VHT because they are the only ones who make white. Follow the instructions to a t. It is not regular paint. Also used it on my XR500 exhaust, and it has held up to quite a bit of abuse. Not as tuff as the origional factory Honda paint though. That stuff was a pain to take off. Oh, and its on my Rupp minibike too. "Just like the 60s bro" TM

Might want to try these guys: http://www.techlinecoatings.com/ . There used to be a tech post that injecteda did on here a few years ago.

8. jalopy43

jalopy43
    Member Emeritus

These are rustoleum silver.......

Attached Files: