Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Question about split wishbone.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bubba1955, Sep 18, 2014.

1. Bubba1955

Bubba1955

When you run a split front wishbone and one wheel goes over a bump on just one side doesn't the axle act more like a swing arm and try to lift the other end of the axle? I can see where a four bar would allow the lift of one side only, but with split bones where's the give? Does the axle twist torsionally? I hope I was able to ask the question and make sense.

2. this has been discussed a lot before on here.... with varying opinions

if you are using an I-beam axle it will twist to allow free movement , tube axles do not

Bubba1955 likes this.
  3. Bubba1955

Bubba1955

Thanks 36-3window. I was sure I couldn't have been the first one to have asked this and I did try the search feature first. I guess I just didn't hit on the right combination of words to narrow it down. Thanks again.

4. Ok, so you lift one corner corner of a square- what happens ?

2 sides come up and the diagonal corner to corner changes.

Same square but lock the diagonal from changing, now pick up one corner - what happens ?

All 4 sides come up

5. aaggie

aaggie

With a transverse axle and spring that is clamped to the frame in the middle you don't have enough suspension travel to create a big problem. In theory maybe but not in reality. A gazillion hot rods can't be wrong.....

6. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ford I-Beam axles are designed to twist, without damaging them.
    [​IMG]
    That's a Model A axle.