Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Question about radius rod interference

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ralph Moore, Jul 6, 2015.

1. Ralph Moore

Ralph Moore

Well I finally got my AV8 on the road( only took 8 years!) and other than the occasional leak or loose bolt she runs great. Steering geometry is good. Only issue I've noticed is I hit a couple potholes, roads here are not the best , and crawled under the car to check exhaust and noticed the rear radius rods had not only dented the Smithys, but the frame rails as well.
    I'm running a shortened 37 torque tube, shortened radius rods, rear crossmember is a flattened 40 Ford, 32 frame, C notched , rear spring is 40 Ford(Posies).
    I did pull a couple leaves out of rear spring during build , and I don't have any axle bumpers yet.
    My question is, with the bumpers help at all, or do I need to put the leaves back in and raise the rear stance?
    I really like the way the car sits, but I don't think it will stand too much more pounding.

2. The car may have settled and might need the additional leaves. HRP

3. You need to make clearance in accordance with suspension travel. Bump stops are not part of the suspension they are emergency stops for a suspension that is over traveled. Add a leaf and or make whatever changes you need to make to gain the clearance needed to drive the car, or both.

alchemy, Andamo and Boolajosh like this.
  4. I agree 100%. Well said porknbeaner.
    The Wizzard

5. A Boner

A Boner

Or make some spacers to take the place of the removed springs.....putting the springs back in might make for a too stiff ride.

patmanta likes this.
  6. Ralph Moore

Ralph Moore

I did put spacers in place of the two leaves, needed to be able to bolt spring hanger in proper position. Looks like I need to put the leaves back. I was thinking a much lighter car might not need so much spring, but I didn't take our ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1436214831.261036.jpg crappy roads into consideration.
    I will try and post some pics as soon as I can. See if that works. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1436215073.390336.jpg

7. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

. Cool car for sure, the 34 commercial grill is a nice touch. In my opinion from the picture angle the rear could stand to be raised a little so the swage line is level or just above the tyre.
    You could reset the rear spring with more arch , which should not stiffen the ride. May make it a little harder to fit though.

8. Ralph Moore

Ralph Moore

This is a side view of the stance. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1436237568.854995.jpg
    I guess I could stand to raise the rear up a couple inches.

9. Drive'em

Drive'em

I agree, a couple of inches would make your wheels look better in the wheel wells as well as cure you suspension travel issue.

10. Bader2

Bader2

The rule of thumb,for looks and ride,is fist height between top of tire and wheel wells,fenders or not.