Register now to get rid of these ads!

Question about my mini-bike project.....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ayers Garage, Jan 30, 2004.

1. Ayers Garage

Ayers Garage

I got this today for free. Does anybody know who might have made this thing or how old it might be?

I already have the Schwinn springer fork and Tecumseh engine for a mini-bike project...

Anybody know how the looks/ geometry will pan out if I use a springer lowrider bicycle fork and 20 inch front wheel? Or, should I just scrap it and build a new frame from scratch?

Thanks,
    H. Hotrodder

2. Ayers Garage

Ayers Garage

sorry, forgot picture

Attached Files:

3. Ayers Garage

Ayers Garage

No mini bikers left on the HAMB?

4. [ QUOTE ]
    Anybody know how the looks/ geometry will pan out if I use a springer lowrider bicycle fork and 20 inch front wheel?

[/ QUOTE ]

You'll probably have to change the neck to be able to use bicycle forks.
    I'm guessing a 20" front wheel is as tall as the frame.

You will have to mock it up to see how goofy it will look.

5. Fat Hack

Fat Hack
    from Detroit

That looks like a standard "junior" sized mini-bike frame to me...very popular in the late 60s-mid 70s as a rough estimate about it's age.

That frame will only accept the standard little mini-bike rear wheel, so I'd probably go with a 16" front whell/tire combo on your Schwinn springer fork to keep the proportions reasonable...a 20" tire would look WAY wrong, in my opinion.

Tecumseh engines RULE!!! I logged lotsa miles on mine last year, and except for the garbage updraft carb, it worked flawlessly!!!

Of course...I build mine outta old BICYCLES...no chain to toss and wicked top end gearing! [​IMG]

6. k-member

k-member

I've built about a dozen or so and I used a bycycle neck on one and put a schwin springer on one for a really tall guy. It looks goofy as hell cause it has a stock size mini rear wheel, but he loves it. I can probly get a pick next week. Until then...

Attached Files:

7. james

james

Sell it on ebay and get an old bmx bike for the neck. Here's my project on hold, using a dyno head tube I found in the trash.

Attached Files:

8. Anderson

Anderson

If you're gonna start over, don't trash that frame, I'd love to do something with it.

9. 1LOWCHIEF

1LOWCHIEF

james,
    You have any more pics of that thing?? Thats a beast, and I LIKE it!

10. james

james

here's a shot. Excuse the mess. The rear wheel and what's left of the swingarm were off a cr80 I got at a garage sale for $20. I've got a street tire for the back, just not on yet. The tubing was all bent on my $80 harbor freight pipe bender.

Attached Files:

11. 3bytheknee

3bytheknee
    from Sonora, CA

H. Hotrodder,

Your frame looks exactly like one I bought last summer on e-bay. Mine was supposed to be complete but I got the shaft on that one. $300 later it got to the stage shown in the first photo. The second photo is at Bonneville last Aug and that's why I bought/built the scooter which I thought was a doodle bug. That's what we called these years ago. A local friend tells me this particular one is known as a TACO and that is the brand name. I had never heard of that brand before. The frame is a little short for a tall person but it got me around the pits at Bonneville just fine. [​IMG]

Attached Files:

12. 3bytheknee

3bytheknee
    from Sonora, CA

photo two. This was moving at an eye-watering 30 mph.

Attached Files:

13. Ayers Garage

Ayers Garage

3 by, I think you're right. They look identical.

I have a 3 horse Tecumseh for it. I also have the forks, just not pictured. I imagine all of the wheels and hubs and stuff are going to cost be more than a more complete one would have wound up costing.

My wife rode it when she was a little girl, so it's somewhat sentimental I guess.

After looking at all of the pics, I'm just going to restore it pretty much stock. I can't figure out any way to change much without making it look funny (funnier?)

14. 3bytheknee

3bytheknee
    from Sonora, CA

H. Hotrodder,

Since you have it stripped completely I would recommend cutting the 4 main frame tubes and welding in some 4 to 6" pieces to lengthen the frame. It would be a lot more comfortable to ride. Also, don't buy Northern's drum brake. It's a piece of sh*t. The drum is so far out out of round with the sprocket I had to use both mill and lathe to rebuild it. There are better suppliers.

15. timebandit

timebandit
    from Norway

Here is I bike I built with fork parts from a bicycle.
    I used a nose wheel for a trailer up front. And bought
    the rear wheel setup and sentrifugalcluch from this place : Mini bike parts
    I was satisfied with prices, parts and their service.
    [​IMG]

16. Mike Paul

Mike Paul
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Manufacturers Supply is about a mile from my house and I've bought alot of shit from them over the years. Good stuff.

17. Ayers Garage

Ayers Garage

[ QUOTE ]
    H. Hotrodder,

Since you have it stripped completely I would recommend cutting the 4 main frame tubes and welding in some 4 to 6" pieces to lengthen the frame. It would be a lot more comfortable to ride. Also, don't buy Northern's drum brake. It's a piece of sh*t. The drum is so far out out of round with the sprocket I had to use both mill and lathe to rebuild it. There are better suppliers.

[/ QUOTE ]

3 by, do you mean stretch the wheelbase or make the frame taller?

18. 3bytheknee

3bytheknee
    from Sonora, CA

H. Hotrodder,

Yes, add to the length. Tall is not the problem. Knees into the handlebars is. The short wheelbase is a little squirrely "at speed" too. [​IMG]

19. Mike Paul

Mike Paul
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here's mine(freebee), anyone got any info on who built "grand prix" mini bikes?

[​IMG]

20. k-member

k-member

Here's the pic with the springer..

Attached Files: