Register now to get rid of these ads!

Question about frame tables

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by poofus1929, Jan 9, 2010.

1. poofus1929

poofus1929
    from So Cal

I need to build some sort of jig or table to build a frame for my T on. I also need a work table for my garage. I was wondering if I build a table that is 6 foot by 4 foot, Is that long enought to clamp the frame rails to for welding? I only have a two car garage so space is tight and after I build my frame I can put a sheet of plywood or steel across the top and have a work table. Does anybody think that this will work?

2. fordsteel

fordsteel
    from Elkland PA

Not long enough I wouldn't go any less than 10' for a frame table

3. poofus1929

poofus1929
    from So Cal

Even just for a one time frame build? I'm not planning on using it to build a frame a week or anything.

4. SniffnPaint

SniffnPaint

I would be afraid of having to break loose tacks or clamps and move the frame down the table to work out the front/rear. What kind of frame/ what mtl?

5. poofus1929

poofus1929
    from So Cal

A frame for a T coupe, 1.5x3 120 wall tubing.

6. boydmotorco

boydmotorco

if you did it out of1/4 inch or thicker steel for the top, and a good heavy wall square tube base, i would think you could get away with it. just make sure your frame rail clamps/ fixtures are tied in over the underlying table framework. you may need to get creative to fixture your front and rear spring mounts/ crossmembers. take your time and measure a lot. i think you could pull it off with a small table.

7. SniffnPaint

SniffnPaint

Im with boydmotorco. I dont see any big headaches with tubing. If you were using plate to make your frame rails you would need the table to be much larger then the frame will be when finished.

8. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

I made mine out of plywood and found an I beam .I had plywood marked at every inch .I beam was bolted directly to plywood ,I had the body So the rear measurement was there and I tacked the back together and the front was easy I had measurements from my truck .I just simply bolted the rails to the plywood .I also leveled the jig .So basically I built the rails to the body measure ments .....

9. I built mine on jack stands, that's how I'm doing the next one as well. Home made jacks made out of pipe and big stud bolts so I can level each corner.

10. designs that work

designs that work

Built the frame for my avatar on the garage floor. Getting to old to work on the floor.
    For this build I built a table, top is 3/4 inch 4 ft. x 8 ft.MDF, base and legs are 2x4 studs. Once I had the frame tacked and clamped cut the legs down to lower the table.

11. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Build whatever size that will fit your shop and be of use to you after this project is done. In the meantime you can attach outriggers temporarily to build your frame and remove them after your done.

Frank

12. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Exactly.
    I have a Korean war era aluminium aircraft service box thats about 5' by 3 1/2' I'll be using for my frame table base.
    I'll be running some old 5" angle down both sides with channel cross bars were needed to support different areas of the frame.
    Once the frame is done the angle and channel will be removed and the box will be put to use as a storage cupboard/steel top bench.