Register now to get rid of these ads!

question about flathead plug

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by johnny bondo, Apr 8, 2011.

1. johnny bondo

johnny bondo
    from illinois

ok so im putting the early offy heads on my 8ba, and the last one i had, it had a hole that was JUST BARELY to big to put a small npt plug into it by just taping it with an npt tap. so im thinking ill have to drill it to the next bigger size.

but i was thinking, could i just machine a brass plug for it that would just hammer into it with some rtv? isnt that what they do on the cranks? seems like a lot easier thing to do and then i could grind the top flush with the deck and when its painted no one would know its there. i mean all it does is block a hole from the water pump right, and its low pressure?

2. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

If you have 14mm plug threads, Heli-coils should do the job.

3. bobscogin

bobscogin

That will work, but I'd use JB Weld or some other epoxy adhesive rather than RTV. It must be able to withstand some pressure within the cooling system if your running a pressurized radiator.

Bob

4. johnny bondo

johnny bondo
    from illinois

awesome thanks!

5. johnny bondo

johnny bondo
    from illinois

had my roomate lathe me a plug for it, coated everything with jb weld and hammered it in. here it is finished, you cant even notice it unless youre really looking for it!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]