Register now to get rid of these ads!

Question about fenderwell headers...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DirtyThirty, Jan 14, 2008.

1. DirtyThirty

DirtyThirty
    from nowhere...

I cannot find any for a 385 series Ford, nor did I expect to.
    I have flanges, and bends, and was considering making a set, but, it occured to me that it may be possible, with a bit less time consumption, to cut the flanges off of say, a big Chevy set, and just recreate the last couple inches of primary, directing them towards a big Ford port flange.
    Problem is I don't have any big Chevy stuff for comparison .
    Anybody know offhand the Chevy port dimensions vs. the Ford?
    Are they remotely close?
    I can't find the info on the inter-webulator...
    thanks!

2. A do-able deal in a lot of cases.

Do you have the primary tube size for the Ford?
    I believe the BBC's have different sizes depending on what you want to do.

I know the SBC's have several different size primaries to choose from, 1 5/8" to 2" I believe.

Got a pal at a parts house?
    Figure out the center to center port spacing by comparing one piece header gaskets.

The pic shows what I'm doing.
    A set of Schoenfeld sprint car headers for SBC with 1 7/8" primaries.
    One tube in the pic has slipped out a bit, but they mock-up very well.

1 7/8" primaries are what's recommended for most BBBuick builds although the real serious Buick engines get 2" - 2 1/8" primaries.

1 7/8" is what I run on the completely scratch-built headers on the 32 roadster and they're just right for the 400-460 HP level.

All that's required is a short piece of the 1 7/8" U-bend curved area to transition from the straight-in the SBC uses to the about 45* on the BBBuick heads.

#7 cylinder is the only one that will take a bit more work due to a moderate conflict with the steering tube.

Looking at the header kit I have, it looks like if you cut the primaries short at the top the over-the-frame sprint car header would fit inside the frame on 50's era pickups etc.

[​IMG]

Note that the header tubes are taped together - shipped that way - and it would be easy to change the port center to center distance.

3. jerry

jerry

I like your definition of "moderate conflict"!

Good ideas for a starting point for doing a set for a hard to find for motor.

jerry

4. OLD BOB

OLD BOB

I know what you are going through. I have a 67 dodge Dart and I am making an OLD GASSER RIDE out of it. Although I can buy a new set of fenderwell headers for $700.00 I prefer not to spend that kind of money for headers. So I am thinking along the lines you are of making my own set out of some old smallblock chevy nova headers and mopar flanges! Hope to get started on mine as soon as the straight axle setup is all completed. Good Luck with yours

Bobby

5. DirtyThirty

DirtyThirty
    from nowhere...

alrighty...lots of folks on the same page of the same novel here...
    C-9, it looks like that is going to work out great...nice!
    thanks for the info...I think I will take my gaskets over to the parts store and see...
    I measured a set of Chevy heads at a friends shop today, and they seem to have a reasonably close port spacing. As far as the diameter, I'd like 2" plus, as my motor is in the 550-600 horse range. I am thinking about getting a set of big Chevy headers of a smaller diameter, and maybe the flanges that are available with the stub of the primaries attached, in a slightly larger diameter, and inserting them and welding them up...
    We'll see...

6. DirtyThirty

DirtyThirty
    from nowhere...

thank you! you too...