Register now to get rid of these ads!

Question about candy and lace

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by sleazy pot pie, Apr 7, 2021.

1. sleazy pot pie

sleazy pot pie

I am planning on doing my first lace and candy on a guitar.
    My plan is to lay a gold base, followed by some gold metal flake, then purple candy over the lace.

what I am wondering is this:
    Do I want make the candy strong enough to get the color in one pass over the lace or is it ok to make 2 or 3 passes to get the color I want?

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

I've never done lace but plenty of flake with candy....I've always built up coats until the desired color is reached. Take your time...pay attention to recoat times.

3. sleazy pot pie

sleazy pot pie

Thanks for the quick reply.
    This was my thinking as well.
    Just need to decide if I am going to do both sides of the guitar with lace or just the front.
    Probably be difficult to match the color if I do both sides, since I will have to do one side at a time.

4. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Did this years ago. Gold base with gold flake. All spray cans.
    FF04ABF8-D72C-4691-B227-CCF27A5A81A0.jpeg

5. sleazy pot pie

sleazy pot pie

That looks great flathead. I am also doing another guitar similar to that, but with the addition of a burst finish on top of the gold.

6. Matt55folife

Matt55folife

Me and my cousin sprayed the lace on my 55 roof. We sprayed silver with silver metal flake first then put on the lace and spryed over the lace with metallic black. Then pulled off the lace and sprayed over that with blue. Look at my avatar pic for reference of finished product. Spray a few test panels first to make sure u can do multiple coats over the lace. Itll b hard but doable. Show us some pictures when you finish! Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. Squablow

Squablow

I would think if the gold base and the gold flake were very close in color, it'll be hard to see the flake pattern.

8. indyjps

indyjps

I can see that, gold base, dust with gold flake and intercoat clear. I prefer to do candy in a few coats also in intercoat clear.

Youll have to lay a lot of clear to bury the flake and lace ridges.