Register now to get rid of these ads!

question about and source for spring steel

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Sealed Power, Jun 1, 2010.

1. Sealed Power

Sealed Power
    from TN

I am looking for some .028 spring steel. I ordered some from McMaster Carr when it showed up it was .031 their tolerance on spring steel of that thickness is .0025.

Seems kind of crappy to me. Are all tolerances that bad on spring steel or is there another supplier that I can check with.

2. Sealed Power

Sealed Power
    from TN

This thing on???:D

Surely some of you guys know about or have a use for spring steel from time to time?

3. blt2go

blt2go

not sure what you are using it for or how much you need, but i use feeler gauges. it is exact on thickness and easy to come by. i also have a name but don't know about spelling or even if they are in business anymore. nyswonger springs, i can check on them tomorrow and forward more of their info. good luck.

4. rottenleonard

rottenleonard

Could you just take it to your local machinist and have it surface ground to your spec?

5. blt2go

blt2go

heck, i was right on name. here is info. hope they can help. i'll just put it on twice. for no good reason other than i'm too quick with the daggum mouse and not smart enough to tell it what i really want.

<TABLE border=1 borderColor=grey cellPadding=5 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD>Nyswonger Spring Company
    "4601 North Walnut" Oklahoma City , OK 73105
    USA
    </TD><TD>PH: +1 405-521-0622
    FAX: +1 405-521-0636
    </TD></TR>

</TBODY></TABLE><TABLE border=1 borderColor=grey cellPadding=5 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD>Nyswonger Spring Company
    "4601 North Walnut" Oklahoma City , OK 73105
    USA
    </TD><TD>PH: +1 405-521-0622
    FAX: + 405-521-0636
    </TD></TR>

</TBODY></TABLE>

6. Checkerwagon

Checkerwagon

How much do you need ? The spring steel that I do have laying around is Clock springs. The mantle clock type springs. I admit, I haven't mic'd it, but will do so if you need me to. A quick Google search came up with a bunch of sources for the stock you mentioned in your post.
    Dale K
    Cleveland OH

7. Sealed Power

Sealed Power
    from TN

Thanks for the replies. I need some pretty good size pieces. Sheets actually.

McMaster car sells .028 in 10 inch wide x 9 ft long pieces.

The .031 will probably work. That just seems like a lot of variance to me.

That's almost 10% that'd be like calling them up and ordering a steel bar 10 inches long and them sending a bar 9 inches and saying that's the best we can do. :rolleyes:

If there's that much variation in the material I don't know why the hell they show even list .030 in the catalog. :confused:

I've ordered it before and it was closer I didn't know if I just got lucky before.

Maybe it's normal for it be off that much, just sems odd to me. I buy 4x10 sheets of 20 gauge sheet metal all the time and the thickness is pretty consistant on it.

You would think spring steel would be more accurate and have a tighter tolerance than sheet metal but maybe I'm wrong.

Thought it might be like everything else, outsourced to China so now the quality is for shit.

Anyway thanks again

8. pdq67

pdq67

Please consider going through "Thomas Register" to find a more accurate spring steel supplier.

Years and years ago, I used their books hunting for stuff like this. I don't know how user-friendly their website is, sorry.

pdq67