Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Question about a brake proportioning valve

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bruce Fischer, Mar 18, 2018.

1. I got 1 P.V.Valve from pull a parts yesterday. I am going to install it to day. The radiator shop called me and said after they had soaked my radiator it has a couple of small leaks. They asked if I wanted a new one that was made of plastic for $140. and I said no. I said please see if you can fix the old brass one. Yesterday they called me and said it was ready . I go pick it up Monday for $80. I think it was a good deal. What do you all think? Thanks Bruce.

2. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

I think the original fixed is what is preferred! Gary

Bruce Fischer likes this.
  3. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Hard to find a radiator shop that will fix a radiator now days.
    I say you did good.
    We just call are local shop recore.

4. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

Some leaks only occur at higher pressure. I've seen many cracked hydraulic cylinders, hoses, connections and o-ring joints that only leak at over 2000 psi. If it isn't a large volume leak the pressure loss will be negligible. The system might only lose a few drops per application, but in thousands of applications, it can lose a lot of fluid.

5. I’m officially done....good luck with the brakes Bruce.....

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

6. $80 is not bad. New ones (brass/ copper) are often not much more than that. Probably less than the $140 plastic POS.

7. Dennis Cator

Dennis Cator
    from CANADA

Question? Does it matter? Manual brakes drum verses disc brakes . Do these applications require different Proportion valves. Thanks

8. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Drum brake vehicles never came with a proportioning valve, and as a general rule do not need them. There are a couple of situations where a prop valve could be useful, such as;
    When later servo drum brakes are used on the rear with early non-servo drums are on the front, ie Lockheed fronts and Bendix rears, and
    Some trucks that are normally run empty.