Register now to get rid of these ads!

Queensland Australia flood washing cars away

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ZZ-IRON, Jan 11, 2011.

1. Now we've got The Great Ocean Road closed due to flooding and Landslides... WTF is going on! This is just crazy, flooding on the east fires in the west...

Hang in there up north, worst is nearly over. I hope we never get to see this sort of thing again for a very long time.

2. Docco

Docco
    from Ippy

Thats the exact exit. Couldn't get over the other side for obvious reasons but the royal mail pub would be well and truly under.

3. truck

truck
    from Brisbane

i luv that pub....

4. 63Compact

63Compact

You havent been to Frankston lately!!!!!!!!

5. Retroline

Retroline

Hope everyone up north stays dry and out of danger. Its heading south as the Clarence river is rising now with Grafton on alert. We haven't seen many sunny days here in Sydney all summer.

6. 30 Buford

30 Buford
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

WOW ,I hope things get better soon for you
    folks .

7. GlenC

GlenC

Here's a link to our 'live' weather radar so you can see what's happening rain-wise at least. This page is 128k around Brisbane, Toowoomba is on the far left edge, Southport (where I'm safe and dry) is on the coastline.

http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDR663.loop.shtml

If you go to the links above this map, you'll find a 'national' view. Take a look at what's coming for us next!

Oh yeah, and there mightn't be any crocs in the water down here, but someone spotted a bloody bull shark swimming down a flooded street in Goodna today!

Cheers, Glen.

8. 245coop

245coop

Docco,
    i must have nearly walked past you on the goodna footbridge, i have pics of the same spots with virtually the same water level. Had 2 inches of water through the shed yesterday, thankfully all run off from the rain we copped. No dramas now though. Also work at Rocklea at BOC, was told this morning that we won't be reopening until at least monday. Best wishes to all HAMBers affected by the tragedy unraveling at the moment.

9. Lucky3

Lucky3

Our thoughts and prayers are with you guys...

Keep the faith Bro's !!

10. John in Oz

John in Oz

Don't forget guys that 1 dam is at 200% and another is at 175% capacity and that is why they have the dam gates open, there is also another earth dam with concerns that it may have moved ever so slightly and if it lets go there will be shits for trumps. The only saving grace there is not too many will be effected.

It was an airy feeling at the wharf yesterday as they were about to clear the last 2 ships back out to sea and had sent all the rest away already.

Our thoughts go out to all of those effected, a mate has a 55 Buick 4 door sedan right beside the river at Gatton so I hope that is also safe, he couldn't move it because it is stripped and he is in a wheel chair at the moment getting over a bike accident from 18 months ago, I know they are safe but not sure about the Buick.

Just think of the poor folks where part of the town was washed away at Grantham and the people missing.

High Tide is at 4.00 a.m. as well and the Brisbane city centre is already flooding.

11. fieldofcars

fieldofcars

It is so overwhelming. Praying for it to end soon and that you all be safe.

12. DERPR30

DERPR30
    from HARVEY LA

our thoughts and prayers go out to you

13. seatex

seatex

Sad, VERY SAD.................

14. Spent most of the night watching the water at the end of the street. Thankfully it didn't come up as far as expected., so we are OK. Sorry to say there are thousands who have lost everything. Not to mention businesses, equipment etc.

15. tmf

tmf

Good news Tony.
    Still there are plenty of not so lucky. The cleanup takes a long time.
    I got flooded years ago when i lived on the Lake water under the house but not over the floor boards unfortunately got the shed lost a lot back then bad memories.

16. LabRat

LabRat

This has been some heavy shit ...

My heart goes out to everyone in this time of need ...

17. Sadly there are unimaginable tons of farmland topsoil washing through and settling in, on and around everything.

18. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

Just watched the concrete walkway section 300 mteres in length get steered down the Brisbane River by Tugboats. Now that was just amazing.

Still a lot of rain down south and plenty of Flash flooding but nothing like that in Queensland.

19. jangleguy

jangleguy

!!! You guys gotta be the toughest rodders on earth. We're cheering you on, as you ride this thing out...

20. stay safe mates...

21. prayers y'alls way....

22. Good to hear alls well Tony, unfortunately that cant be said for others....

23. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

Not Roadster Weather in Victoria at present 25mm of rain just this morning here.

24. Doc, it's people like you that everyone is thankful for at times like this, it's a trying time for everybody involved, thoughts are with Australia tonight.

25. hudson48

hudson48

From my post on another thread

Our worst fears have been realised.Although the river level is lower than the 1974 floods the devastation seems worse since Brisbane is a more densley populated city than it was 37 years ago_Over 15,000 homes and businesses have been flooded with water up to the eaves in many cases.

Iconic structures like the floating walkway to New Farm and the Drift Restaurant( ironic name) have broken away and floated down the river
    along with pontoons,boats,houses etc.

We are looking at many months of cleanup and many businesses will not survive the financial impact as many did not have flood insurance.

The worst hit area was Toowoomba and the Lockyer Valley.Thirteen dead and the toll is expected to exceed 40 with many children included in the
    numbers.

Many stories,videos and pictures here on our news website.

http://ninemsn.com.au/
    <!-- / message -->

26. Doc, Spoggie, and all our Aussie friends, my thoughts and prayers go out to you.

Doc, I've said it before, you see some nasty stuff in your line of work and in service to your nation. I join the many who are very grateful for leather necked SOBs like you with the strength and fortitude to put your lives on the line, time and time again, for your fellow man and, on occasion, a cow or a dog...
    Many families have been blessed by the likes of you. Chin up old man, the world needs
    mates like you! Prayers for your continued health and spirit.

Spoogie, thanks for the updates, hope your family and friends are safe and in good spirits.

Was there a highland dam or something that broke or was this just a rain induced event?

27. Purely rain.....for an extended period of time.

28. Our sign bussiness is in Sumner Park. It's a total loss, the water is about 4 feet from the top of the roof. It's a two story industrial building so it''s pretty fucking deep. luckily our home is high and dry.
    We will rebuild our business it will be a hard slog but we will do it!

One of our business associates around the corner from us has lost his muffler business and his home. He also lost his wife to Cancer just before Xmas, I really don't know how he could go on after so much loss.
    It's just really fucked.:mad:

To put it into perspective from what I understand the area afected is about 3 to 4 times the area that was wiped out by Hurricain Katrina a couple of years ago.

29. hudson48

hudson48

A rain induced event.It has been raining here for over a month and then the REAL rain started.A major depression hung over the Toowoomba area for a couple of hours and that is what caused the devestation in Toowoomba and the Lockyer Valley.
    The Wivenhoe Dam built after the 1974 floods has actually helped by holding back the water that would otherwise have flowed down the Brisbane River.They are controlling the overflow now to keep the dam within its limits.It is at 190% because the flood mitigation section has filled up.They will have to release more progressively but are waiting until the normal flows from the rain have receded.
    It will be necessary to get the "overflow" section dropped in volume as we will still have another 6-8 weeks of wet season to go.
    I have just heard that Goondiwindi is the next town bracing for flood waters to come through.

Has anyone heard how the Toowoomba boys have been affected.
    Warren Wilkie has a shop there and Malcolm Case lives up there also.
    I am sure we will hear stories of cars lost!!!
    John Taylor have you heard anything?

30. badgeree

badgeree

Read the story in the paper this morning about the family that lost a son and a wife.

A truck driver saved the younger brother, at the insistance of the slightly older brother, but then had to watch as the other boy and his mum were swept away.

You think times are sometimes tough, then something like this happens.

It really puts it into perspective. I love cars, but you can always build/buy another one.
    My heart really goes out to the people who are affected by all this.